Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aged/Fermented cocktail question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
kingogames
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Default Aged/Fermented cocktail question

Thinking ahead to St. Patrick's Day, I'm wondering if I can premix, bottle, ferment ginger beer and Jameson or another whisky & let it bottle condition.

I've been doing some reading on aged cocktails from Jeffrey Morgenthaler & others, and this seems to be along the same lines. If I just add the Jameson to the ginger beer and bottle it, will it bottle carbonate or will the whisky interfere?

I would LOVE to be able to do this & have a bunch of bottles ready and premixed & just pop a top on St. Patty's Day without having to mix, etc. Does anyone know if this is possible? If so, could it be done with other cocktails like gin & tonics, old fashioneds, etc.?

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 11:45 PM   #2
Halbrust
Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 99

An aged cocktail IMHO is a cordial or liqueur.
I love making these, and have scored well (but not great) in cordial competitions.

You could make a really nice drink with Jameson, water, ginger, and sugar. But I don't think you'd have a chance of it carbonating.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Gavagai
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I looked up Jeffrey Morgantheler and it looks like he force carbonates his cocktails. You could possibly bottle condition the ginger beer/whisky if you kept the ABV under 20% and used a very alcohol tolerant yeast strain. It certainly wouldn't be possible with a short drink like an old fashioned, though.

Quick Reply