Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Age it warm longer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #1
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1029 Times on 685 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Default Age it warm longer

This is a public service announcement for all those who rush their beers into the keg/bottles and then right into the cooler. Stop, or my mom will shoot.

I brewed two batches about 9 months ago that made it into the keggerator probably just under a month after pitching. It had fermented out just fine, cleared up in secondary for a week or so, then right into the kegerator. I found them to be barely drinkable. Too sweet, strange off flavors, etc. They sat in there for months not being poured.

I eventually needed the room in the kegger so they got ripped out and left in my garage over the summer (80-85F ambient). I just took a test of both of them and they're good beers now. This goes to show how important a decent ale-temp conditioning is. If I would have just left then another month before rushing them into the cooler, they wouldn't have been ignored like red-headed step children.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #2
Beerthoven
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have often wondered about this practice, too.

I know some veteran homebrewers who ferment their beers for 7-10 days, rack to kegs, crash cool, and force carbonate. A few days later they are drinking. It seems to take their beers forever to get good (IMO), and by then much of it is gone. I can't understand why they don't condition their beer. I wonder if it is a generational thing.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 08-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #3
Lonek

Recipes 

Everytime I get impatient I'm reminded when I taste a young beer. Put it down! Unless it's wheat, I let it sit at least a month in a secondary.

Ready to drink: Scottish Shilling 60, Liverpool Pale Ale

Gallons brewed this year:
5 gallons Belgian Witbier
5 gallons Liverpool House Pale Ale
5 gallons Scottish Shilling 60

Old 08-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #4
Sea
Green Flash IPA on tap
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

So, once a ale's done fermenting, what's a safe temp range to store it at without getting off flavors? Cause I always thought 85F was a little high.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

That's a good question. I honestly let it sit in the garage because I was convinced I would be dumping both down the drain when I got around to needing the kegs. Then I have to wonder though, the big concern about high temps are always about fusel alcohol and ester production during primary/active fermentation. Well that stage had been long completed already. I'd say no harm done.. hey, they tasted markedly better than before.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 08-24-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
SilvaRizla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I definately agree, I made some beer almost 2 years ago now and thought it was bad was I just left it. I tasted some yesterday and its absolutley fantastic (if a little flat). Really smooth

Old 08-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #7
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M
This is a public service announcement for all those who rush their beers into the keg/bottles and then right into the cooler. Stop, or my mom will shoot.

I brewed two batches about 9 months ago that made it into the keggerator probably just under a month after pitching. It had fermented out just fine, cleared up in secondary for a week or so, then right into the kegerator. I found them to be barely drinkable. Too sweet, strange off flavors, etc. They sat in there for months not being poured.

I eventually needed the room in the kegger so they got ripped out and left in my garage over the summer (80-85F ambient). I just took a test of both of them and they're good beers now. This goes to show how important a decent ale-temp conditioning is. If I would have just left then another month before rushing them into the cooler, they wouldn't have been ignored like red-headed step children.
WOW. I've done the same but haven't gone back to try them.
Really looking forward to trying my tow-headed beers.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-07-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I was one of those impatient people (it's my first brew, 6 weeks is a long time!) and I put my keg in the kegerator too early and it's definitely "green". Is it safe to take the keg out of the kegerator and let it sit warm for a few weeks? Or since I already cooled it, should I keep it in the kegerator?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 

Recipes 

That's exactly what I did. It was cold for 3 months, then it sat in the warm garage for a couple months.. It tasted better. I don't know if there are any viable yeast left after all that time to do anymore conditioning, but my results suggested there was.

New Stuff?

Old 09-07-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
the_Roqk

Recipes 

Okay Bobby.... so are you saying that you should put it in a 5 gal corny and pressurize. Then let it sit in the gararge around 80F for a month then crash cool it and enjoy after a day or so. Or place it in the corny and purge the O2 out, and then let it sit at room temp for a month then crash cool it and enjoy after.

I was wondering about using this technique and didn't know if after fermenting should I bottle it or just put it in one of my cornies. I have everything needed to start kegging now and so far haven't the time to finish. I have been contemplating on just filling some cornies and letting them sit so that I can finish my keggerator. Here in Florida the temps in my garage can hit upper 90's easily. My last bottling batch I had to keep inside (76F for 3-4 weeks) and they turned out great.

Quick Reply