HBT 2014 Big Giveaway - 4/10 Re-Draw Winners Posted!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aeration technique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Adam's Apples
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aeration technique

The only real part of my brewing process I'm not completely happy with yet is the aeration of my wort. I do full boils, so thought I would help my brews by buying an aquariam pump + aeration stone.

Do any of you guys use this technique and, if so, are there any guideline amounts as to how long aeration via this method takes? Is it possible to over aerate the wort and could this have a negative affect on my brew?

Any tips appreciated.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4521 Times on 4242 Posts
Likes Given: 51

IIRC, the max you can achieve with "aeration" is 8ppm and it takes approx. 15 minutes but creates a lot of foam. Might consider a regulator for the smal O2 tanks and it will take seconds bu does have the potential for over "oxygenating"

Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I used an aquarium pump for aeration for a couple of brews, but then got tired of the tremendous amount of foam it produced and the length of time, so I switched to oxygenating with pure oxygen for 2 minutes.

You cannot over-aerate the wort with an aquarium pump and air because the atmosphere is only about 21% oxygen. You can over-oxygenate with pure oxygen, so you need to be careful.

I can't remember exactly how long I aerated for, but I believe it was about 15 or 20 minutes. I always had to pause to let the foam settle down a few times, so the total time was not continuous.

I have an aquarium pump for sale if you want one...

Planning: n/a

Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #4
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use a wine degassing wand. Easy to sanitize and does a fantastic job. Would never use anything else.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:17 PM   #5
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I wanted to try the aeration stone method to try to get my FGs a little lower. I have read that you get saturation at 50 minutes using the air pump/stone and 1 minute using pure o2. I used the pump & stone in the kettle after cooling until it nearly foamed over, and then again in the carboy until I filled the headspace. Probably 45 minutes total. Fermentation took off very quickly, was bubbling in 5 hours, and krausen filled the headspace in 12. 24 hours krausen filled the 1" blowoff and had reached the airlock water, but has settled down since (3 days in). Hoping for a nice dry finish on this one.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #6
strohs
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If my primary is my Better Bottle carboy, then I just continually shake the crap out of it as I am transferring the wort from the kettle.
If its my bucket, then I just use a plastic mash paddle and stir like crazy.
Both processes work great for me

Old 03-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #7
s3n8
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr x
I use a wine degassing wand. Easy to sanitize and does a fantastic job. Would never use anything else.

I am curious having read several people using this method. It seems on its face counter-intuitive, however if it works for you, keep it up. Is there any way to measure o2 saturation that is accessible to the home brewer? e.g. not a spectrometer.

Have also heard of people using paint stirrers in a drill. My drill is nasty dirty greasy, so I keep things like that far away.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:10 AM   #8
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The paint stirrer is the same as a degassing wand. But I haven't seen a SS paint stirrer up here. It just whips air into the wort.

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:51 AM   #9
Adam's Apples
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageSteve
I used an aquarium pump for aeration for a couple of brews, but then got tired of the tremendous amount of foam it produced and the length of time, so I switched to oxygenating with pure oxygen for 2 minutes.

You cannot over-aerate the wort with an aquarium pump and air because the atmosphere is only about 21% oxygen. You can over-oxygenate with pure oxygen, so you need to be careful.

I can't remember exactly how long I aerated for, but I believe it was about 15 or 20 minutes. I always had to pause to let the foam settle down a few times, so the total time was not continuous.

I have an aquarium pump for sale if you want one...
Thanks for the info guys.

Savage, I am in UK and have seen one on Ebay for £7, but I'm not sure this is the best option now. Gonna think about all the options.

What equipment do you use to saturate with pure oxygen?

Cheers

Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 AM   #10
SavageSteve

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam's Apples
Thanks for the info guys.

Savage, I am in UK and have seen one on Ebay for £7, but I'm not sure this is the best option now. Gonna think about all the options.

What equipment do you use to saturate with pure oxygen?

Cheers
I was just teasing about selling the aquarium pump.

I bought this setup from MoreBeer: http://morebeer.com/view_product/16604/. It's just a regulator for a small disposable bottle of oxygen that you can get at a hardware store, some tubing, and an inline sterile filter.

I also bought the wand and diffusion stone from MoreBeer: http://morebeer.com/view_product/18255/. It's a stainless steel tube with a 0.5 micron diffusion stone welded to one end. It's easier to move the stone around in the carboy with a rigid tube than with plastic tubing.

Also, the wort shouldn't be saturated with oxygen, just brought up to the right concentration. Too much can be harmful to the yeast and/or cause oxidation problems. Ideally, I should get a flowmeter to measure how much oxygen I'm putting into the wort.

BTW, I was in the UK in January, and had some of the best beer in my life from the many pubs I visited.

-Steve

Planning: n/a

Quick Reply