Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > aeration technique?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2006, 04:05 PM   #21
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
It is, if you can pitch enough yeast such that significant growth is not necessary anymore. But since even professionals, who do pitch much larger ratios than most home brewers, aerate/oxygenate the wort, I believe it is better for your beer. You actually want to have some growth in the primary so the yeast can better adopt to the wort composition. And it needs to build up lipids to withstand the increasing alcohol levels. Ester production may also increase if there is not enough O2 present in the early stages.

It is not necessary for dry yeast since the yeast has been dried at high kraeusen. This means it is fully changed (lipids) with O2.

Others,
Yes there are lot's of techniques out there to aerate your wort. I used many of them too. But nothing is as easy, clean and reliable as O2 or filtered air. When I now siphon from the brew kettle into the carboy, I don't have to worry to splash sufficiently. I actually put the hose in the carboy and cover the opening with aluminum foil and just wait.

Kai
Wow....good post!
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #22
KopyKat

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Ever leave the diver in for flavor? Kinda like the worm in the tequila thing.
You might start a new ale - Diver's Special Amber or Diver's Special Brown if he lets go in your fermenter.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 02-06-2006, 06:32 PM   #23
cgravier
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default shake, rattle, and, er, shake again...

i shake the hell out of my carboy. i ususally have it resting on a nice thick towel on the floor and wedge two feet under that b***h and just start shaking,like a madman you want the most violent, spastic, foam inducing shake you can create, mixing everything from the top to the bottom.

i let it sit for a few minute soaking in all the o2 goodness, the i realsease the cap on the carboy, wich lets out a 'sucking' sound. and i shake vigirulssly and violently some more.

i repeat this pattern for about ten-15 minutes, shake, rest, shake, rest, they key to the rest is to give the o2 a chance to be obsorbed.after 10 shakes i feal its ready to pitch the yeast, in which i give it one las shake, a little less toned down this time, just to distribute the yeast.

dont be scared of the carboy...its not your friend, it likes to be abused, your not gonna hurt its feelings, but you will be pissd if you dont get a goodhealthy, strong fermentation.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:09 PM   #24
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgravier
i shake the hell out of my carboy. i ususally have it resting on a nice thick towel on the floor and wedge two feet under that b***h and just start shaking,like a madman you want the most violent, spastic, foam inducing shake you can create, mixing everything from the top to the bottom.
You may actually get better results if you can do this with a half full carboy first. Due to the increased head space you have more O2 that can be absorbed into the wort. Just thinking out loud

The sucking sound is good. If wort and air were at the same temperature, it means that some of the air components are abosorbed into the wort. But this is difficult to qualify since you have wort/air temperature differences most of the time.

Kai

Old 02-06-2006, 07:14 PM   #25
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
You may actually get better results if you can do this with a half full carboy first. Due to the increased head space you have more O2 that can be absorbed into the wort. Just thinking out loud
that's what I do. I only get about 3 gallons out of by brew-pot, and this is what I shake like hell in the carboy. Then I pour in another 2.5 gallons of water (splashing it a lot) to top the thing off.

Not only is there more O2 to be absorbed by the wort before adding the rest of the water, but it weighs about 20 lbs less this way.

-walker

Quick Reply