Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aeration after pitching yeast (Question)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 10:48 PM   #1
TTUBREW
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Aeration after pitching yeast (Question)

In today's brewing I accidentally aerated (poured wort back and forth between fermenting bucket and brew pot) immediately AFTER pitching yeast instead of before I pitched the yeast. Am I going to have issues because of this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 10:52 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2754 Times on 1650 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

No, it will be fine. If you do a group brew (like teach a neaighbor to brew day, or at a friends) and pitch the yeast then proceed to drive home with your fermenter, you are pretty much doing the same thing. And many of us do that quite a lot...and I have never had any problems. Even sloshig the wort for an hour or more in the car.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
TTUBREW
Recipes 

Cool! Thanks Revvy!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
kable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I know this is an old post but I have a follow up question.

I am doing a group brew on a Saturday and will pitch my yeast as soon as possible. However I will not be able to return home with my fermenter until the next day. So the yeast will have had a little time to start working. I assume I have increased my chances of oxidation, but is it to the point of being a problem?

Old 01-11-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

still not likely to be an issue. if the yeast have produced enough CO2 to fill the headspace, it's a complete non-issue. If they haven't started yet, you're just aerating and helping them to divide. If somewhere in between, you may get increased diacetyl, but the yeast will clean up in time. they are superb oxygen scavengers.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

another option is to just not pitch the yeast til the next day.

as long as you have a sanitary environment, it should be fine. maybe not 'ideal' since it does increase the 'lag time' of tastey wort for bacteria and mold spores.

I've not pitched til the next day a few times when my brew day ended late in the summer and I couldn't get the immersion chiller to get it cold enough to pitch that night.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #7
indigi
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Personally I'd just wait to pitch until the drive home, but it won't be an issue either way I don't think. BuzzCraft's got the right idea.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Aerating with significant amounts of oxygen after fermentation has taken is the major issue. That's when you start to see the cardboard flavors of oxidation.

On the other hand, I've got a couple recipes for big, dark beers (like RIS) that require moderate aeration 24 hours after fermentation has started to assist in the huge task ahead of the yeast. Also, in controlled cases, aeration of dark, complex beers can further promote sherry and date-like flavors.

But i agree with everyone else - the circumstances noted above shouldn't be worried about.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Quick Reply