Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > aeration?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #1
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

Default aeration?

I'm soliciting opinions...

Can adequate aeration of a full-boiled wort be achieved through splashing while siphoning into the fermenter and agitating the fermenter, or is some sort of forced aeration system (aquarium pump or oxygen) necessary for good yeast performance?

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2006, 07:23 PM   #2
Glibbidy

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default widgets, gimcracks, and being thrifty

I'm convinced that one may be able to achieve adequate aeration thru splashing while siphoning, or pouring into your fermenter. Others will likely argue that your wort and yeast may be doomed to an untimely demise without the use of some aeration tool.

Personally I'm using Gravity to achieve adeqaute aeration for my 10 gal batches. It hasn't failed yet, In fact I have been brewing for over ten years and have never had an issue with aeration. (if it ain't broke...) I would guess that you would get optimum aeration thru the use of an aeration stone, or other device. my two cents FWIW.

Old 04-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I'm soliciting opinions...

Can adequate aeration of a full-boiled wort be achieved through splashing while siphoning into the fermenter and agitating the fermenter, or is some sort of forced aeration system (aquarium pump or oxygen) necessary for good yeast performance?
I honestly don't know how to answer your question...probably yes, but an oxygen tank is $7, and the airstone/tubing/regulator is $29, and both of those are little enough that in this case it's easy to just spend the money and get the best, IMHO of course.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 04-18-2006, 07:36 PM   #4
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
I believe that this will give you sufficient aeration for ales. You need about twice this amount for lagers. That's when I would urge the purchase of an aeration/oxygenation system.

Kai

Old 04-18-2006, 07:38 PM   #5
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I give the carboy a really good shake for 5 minutes and my fermentation is always great.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:10 PM   #6
clayof2day

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I pour between buckets (bottling pucket and fermentation bucket that came with the kit) between 5-10 times. Always seems to get good aeration. In fact, I had immediate fermentation on my last brew, and it was from a starter (non even on an old yeast cake). Seems good enough to me!

Old 04-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #7
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

My thoughts...
1) My first few batches I didn't aerate at all...didn't know about it. They did ferment, but I'm too far removed to remember how the flavor was. I thought it was great.
2) Air doesn't have that much oxygen in it...at least not compared to pure oxygen (duh), so shaking/pouring can't be as effective as direct injection.
3) This article: http://byo.com/departments/1410.html (an excellent article on head formation/retention) leads me to believe that shaking the fermentor could use up some of your 'foam capacity' in the finished product.

Basically, I'm with El P...it's worth the $35-40 for an oxygenation system to me, but I guess more homebrewers are making beer without them than with them, so they're hardly essential.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:37 PM   #8
DesertBrew
You're not my type

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I like the oxygen + aerator technique but, yea your into about $40 to use this. I started using one 5 batches or so ago. Before that I used the strainer and then an aquarium pump to blast air in. Lots of big foam. I have not seen a noticable ferment change between each technique however.

The O2 setup is nice and probably the easiest approach. Turn it on and let it gently aerate. But the one that costs $ for each batch. Ultimately I like to do what the big boyz do for what I can afford. This is one of those things...

Old 04-18-2006, 08:39 PM   #9
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von BeeGee
My thoughts...
1) My first few batches I didn't aerate at all...didn't know about it. They did ferment, but I'm too far removed to remember how the flavor was. I thought it was great.
One thing to bear in mind is, that bottled water already contains lots of oxygen. If you use a significant amount of this to top off your wort (partial boils), then you are already good to go

Kai

Old 04-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #10
Baron von BeeGee
Beer Bully

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser
One thing to bear in mind is, that bottled water already contains lots of oxygen. If you use a significant amount of this to top off your wort (partial boils), then you are already good to go

Kai
That's very true, but I even went to a full-wort boil fairly quickly (2nd batch when I was kicked off the stove) and still didn't aerate the first couple. Although I did just tip them into the fermentor which probably helped.

There's a lot of leeway in this hobby and it ultimately comes down to where you draw the line in the sand. I'm a bit OCD with certain things, and hence make good size starters and aerate with O2.

Quick Reply