New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aerating your wort

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #21
SpanishCastleAle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

That's AIR through the stone vs. pure O2 through the stone. I'm curious about pure O2 through the stone vs. pure O2 just bubbled from PVC tubing.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2009, 04:55 PM   #22
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
that ppt was interesting because it seemed to say that there was a max you would hit shaking no matter how much you shake.
That's what I meant by "you can't over aerate your wort" but FlyAngler said that technically that's not the case...but in the real world it pretty much is the case. Maybe you can...but you won't.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-04-2009, 05:01 PM   #23
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Isn't there an old saying that you can have two of fast, good, and cheap? If you want it fast and good, it wont be cheap. If you want it fast and cheap, it probably wont do a good job, so on and so forth.

You can use pure O2 pumped into the wort. This takes very little time and gets the most saturation. However, it is the most expensive method and it can be quite pricey.

Any method of whisking, sloshing, bucket to bucket, whathaveyou is obviously much cheaper, and it can be pretty quick, but it does not get anywhere near the level of saturation that pure O2 gets.

As for me, I do a sort of bucket to bucket thing. After my wort is cool, I put a sanitized fine mesh strainer on top of my bottling bucket and use a sanitized pitcher to scoop wort out and pour it through the strainer from up high. After a couple of these, I just pick up the whole kettle and pour the remainder through the strainer. Then, I place the bottling bucket up on a table, clean out the strainer, place it on top of my primary fermenter and open up the tap. I let it drain from about 4 feet up into the fermenter through the strainer. I am sure that I am maximizing my aeration as far as aerating with air goes. I have not had a fermentation take longer than 4 hours since using this method and I never get stuck fermentations.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #24
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4526 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
That's AIR through the stone vs. pure O2 through the stone. I'm curious about pure O2 through the stone vs. pure O2 just bubbled from PVC tubing.
Sorry. Missed that. And why the heck did the copy paste go all big.

Off to fix the digital inflection.

I do think that the Siphon spray is a reasonable approximation to what you seek.

Last edited by GilaMinumBeer; 02-04-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:24 PM   #25
PhlyanPan
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So, maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way but...bear with me.

When people carbonate with CO2 instead of priming with sugar, they're essentially introducing a gas (CO2) and causing it to dissolve into the beer by pressurizing it to a certain level and then shaking it all up, right?

So when we aerate, we're attempting to dissolve a gas (oxygen in this case) into the wort (not beer) but we do it by bubbling oxygen through a stone or a venturi.

It seems to me the desired result is the same just using a different gas, so how come nobody aerates in a way similar to the way they carbonate?

Old 02-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #26
njnear76
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

How well do those Siphon Spray Aerator tips work? I think I might try going that route instead of the bucket to bucket route.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #27
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

O2 will definitely give you the most dissolved oxygen.....I have great results with an aquarium pump / stone though. I used to use a whisk, but now I aerate with the pump for 30 minutes while I clean up my brew equipment, and get faster fermentation starts.

It's also a lot less work than shaking /stirring which is nice at the end of a long brew day.

Nothing wrong with any of the methods. Do what you like

Old 02-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #28
flyangler18
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 5

njnear76,

Check this out: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-aeration-gadget-68218/

Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #29
GilaMinumBeer
In yo' garage, steelin' yo parts.

Recipes 

Liked 4526 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhlyanPan View Post
So, maybe I'm thinking about this the wrong way but...bear with me.

When people carbonate with CO2 instead of priming with sugar, they're essentially introducing a gas (CO2) and causing it to dissolve into the beer by pressurizing it to a certain level and then shaking it all up, right?

So when we aerate, we're attempting to dissolve a gas (oxygen in this case) into the wort (not beer) but we do it by bubbling oxygen through a stone or a venturi.

It seems to me the desired result is the same just using a different gas, so how come nobody aerates in a way similar to the way they carbonate?
Because not too many of us HB'ers have fermenters that would withstand 30psi? And inline is easier.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #30
maltMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njnear76 View Post
How well do those Siphon Spray Aerator tips work? I think I might try going that route instead of the bucket to bucket route.
In my experience they suck. They might work ok if you're siphoning to a carboy, but if you use a bucket as a primary like I do, it's hard to get the hose low enough to not splash wort out, but still high enough to aerate well. And if you have the hose leaning up the side of the bucket it doesn't really work very well.....you basically have to construct an elaborate rig......

I tried using mine a couple times but gave up when the hose kept slipping out of place, etc....not worth the hassle.

Quick Reply