Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Advice Needed for Hitting Gravity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2012, 11:41 AM   #11
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1301 Times on 956 Posts
Likes Given: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolaPete View Post
I don't have that book, but maybe it will be my next purchase since I've heard many good things about it. I wasn't aware of the fact that the two solutions have problems mixing. I will take that into consideration from now. I am usually pretty close to what my Hopville says I should be, but it never hurts to try and perfect one's methods. So with the method you mentioned above, does it matter if I check the gravity after it has cooled in the icebath and BEFORE I pour it off the trub or AFTER I pour it off the trub?
If you're not adding water, the gravity isn't going to change, so it doesn't matter when you pull the sample. But I'd wait to calculate until you know the volume, since you'll lose a small amount taking it off the trub. At the same time, I know it's a matter for debate here (and everywhere), but I've never had problems just dumping it all in the fermenter, trub and all.

Up Next: English Summer Ale, Best Bitter, Coniston Bluebird Bitter Clone v1.5
Primary: Empty (for now)
Secondary: Sour Stout, Wild Bitter
Polypinned: Pale Mild
Bottled: Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone, ESB, Dark Mild
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Quadrupel, Tripel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #12
PistolaPete
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Ok good 2 know!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply