New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Advice Needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 01:07 AM   #1
swampdog
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice Needed

I have a strange problem with my last AG batch (my 3rd). The first two seemed fine to me. This one came out of the fermenter with a taste I can only describe as "hot." Its really not a taste, but rather a sensation. The beer's been in the keg for over a week and you still feel like your lips and tounge are burning when you taste it. Its almost like the sensation of drinking corn whiskey, only it lasts longer. There are no unpleasant smells, in fact it smells great. It was a Scotch Ale with a ton of malt and an once of hops.

Anyone ever experience this before? Can it be fixed, or should I just dump it now?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2007, 02:09 AM   #2
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Liked 122 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It sounds like fusel alcohol, a result of fermenting warm, particularly at fluctuating warm temperatures. Could that have happened? It might also be accentuated if you underpitched or under-aerated your wort.

And don't dump it - leave it in the keg and sample it again in a few weeks. It will probably improve some.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:26 AM   #3
swampdog
Recipes 

Thanks, Flyguy. I doubt that it fermented outside the suggested range for the yeast (I had it in a cool, consistent basement), but I may well have not gotten enough oxygen in the wort. I am pretty sure I should've racked it off the trub sooner, but I don't know if that could contribute to the condition you suggest. It set in the primary for about three weeks.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
FlyGuy

Recipes 

There are lots of causes for fusel alcohols, butI have only ever noticed them when my fermentation temp was too warm. I have also noticed that in big, dark beers they tend to mellow with time. So definitely don't throw out that batch. Either bottle it and put it in the cellar for a few months, or (better yet) leave it in the secondary for a few months.

I have read that leaving the beer on the yeast too long may cause fusel alcohol production, but three weeks is a pretty short period of time. It sounds more likely that underpitching and lack of oxygen was the problem. With big SG beers, it can be quite hard to oxygenate without the use of an oxygenation system. Did you aerate or oxygenate?

Last edited by FlyGuy; 06-22-2007 at 11:59 AM.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 340 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 92

Fusel alcohols are usually from excess heat. Remember, the fermenting wort can heat up 5° - 7° just from the fermentation process. My basement itself is about 72, which is on the high end for ale fermentation. Next time, you might consider a water bath to help keep things in the high 60s (if that proves to have been the issue).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:48 PM   #6
swampdog
Recipes 

I appreciate everyone's advice. This burning sensation is so strong, I'm having a hard time believing the fermentaion created it. I'm wondering if the batch has somehow gotten contaminated by a chemical agent. I did clean the brew kettle with a bleach solution, but I rinsed it carefully. Still, I'll let her sit for a month or so and see what happens.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had that with my very first Czech lager. It was no where near being fermented warm, but i can tell you that i am sure it was way under pitched.

I would say if you are sure it is not a temp problem then it was underpitched.

"Just because i don't care dosen't mean I don't understand." -Homer Simpson

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 06-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdog
This burning sensation is so strong, I'm having a hard time believing the fermentaion created it. I'm wondering if the batch has somehow gotten contaminated by a chemical agent.
You say it tastes chemical-like? Does it have a solvent-like flavour? Those are fusels. I have had that happen before. Unfortunately, it never goes away, but it will diminish in time. I had a brown ale that was undrinkable at 3 weeks, but passable at 3 months. Hope yours works out!

Old 06-24-2007, 02:09 AM   #9
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

What is your estimated ABV? - plain alcohol will have a "hot" taste to it in high alcohol beers.

Old 06-24-2007, 03:09 AM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

What may appear to be "hot" and slightly unpleasant in the summer, will be warm and soothing when you take a taste in February.

Set that keg aside and save for a wintery day.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply