Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Advice on my first coffee stout (currently in primary)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #11
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 143 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdf84 View Post
Alright, maybe I'll skip secondary and just give it 14 days in Primary before bottling.

My next question would be about keeping this all sanitary. You can boil the water of course, then cool it down to cold brew it... but you can't really sanitize the coffee... right? How about pouring the coffee... use a coffee filter? Should I boil it or something to sanitize it first... or am I being a little too paranoid about contaminating the beer?
The way I did it was by submerging 2 canning jars in a pot of water and bringing it to a boil. Then I sealed them up and let them cool. Once cool, I added the coffee (I don't know of a way to sanitize ground coffee) and left it sealed, in the fridge for a couple days.

When it was time to add it to the brew, I dunked a couple coffee filters in boiling water and lined a sanitized funnel with them and poured the jars (carefully) through.

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Mango Peach Blonde

Primary 1: Independence Pale Ale (4th of July IPA)
Primary 2: Dolph 2014 Imperial Stout
Primary 3: "Strong, Dark & Stoopid 2014" Belgian Dark Strong
Primary 4: Strawberry-Raspberry Belgian Wit
Primary 5: Shred's Oaked Strong Ale
Primary 6: Sara's Chianti
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: "Cirrhosis" 20% Barleywine

mvdf84 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #12
SteveHeff
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 243

I added about (definitely about, no measuring involved) 1.5 cups of coffee to my first stout. It was VERY heavy on the coffee flavor. I added to my bottling bucket along with the priming sugar. I would definitely dial it back to about 4-6 ounces instead of my heavy handed pour. Good luck, hope he loves the stout! If not, I think I know where to find a few people who do.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:48 AM   #13
Pratzie
Fill It Up Again!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvdf84 View Post
I like to experiment so maybe I'll try that with the next batch and let you know.
Yeah please do... im sure im not the only one who would be interested here.
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 04-18-2013, 04:17 AM   #14
Ramarok
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just finished the last bottle of my Coffee Malt Stout tonight. I bottled 5.25 gallons and added 8oz of cold brewed coffee with 24oz water at bottling. The coffee flavor was pretty strong so for next time I would proably cut it down to 4-6oz. As far as sanitizing, there really isnt much you can do with the ground coffee. Best advice is to not worry about it and just make sure everything else you use at bottling is sanitary. Make sure you use a very fine filter on your coffee also. No one wants coffee grounds in their beer.

Last thing is use high quality coffee, no store brand or commercial (Folgers). I used an Ethiopian Yirgaffe (sp?) and it had a great aroma and flavor from the cold brewing.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
mvdf84
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHeff View Post
I added about (definitely about, no measuring involved) 1.5 cups of coffee to my first stout. It was VERY heavy on the coffee flavor. I added to my bottling bucket along with the priming sugar. I would definitely dial it back to about 4-6 ounces instead of my heavy handed pour. Good luck, hope he loves the stout! If not, I think I know where to find a few people who do.
He should definitely love it! I basically interviewed him to find out exactly what he likes and doesn't like. It's his own custom beer. Gonna get him a personalized etched glass mug to go with it, should be a nice touch. He's crazy excited about getting his own beer lol
Old 04-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #16
strambo
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'd use at least 4 oz (or even 6) of coffee, ground and cold brewed for a few days in 24-32 oz water. The first time I tried it, I used 2 oz in a 2.5 gal batch and the coffee was undetectable...but I ground it pretty coarse which hurt as well.

The next time, I doubled the amount and ground it finer (8 oz in a 5 gal batch) and the coffee flavor was strong, but that is what I was going for. So, 4-6 oz with a fine to medium grind should be good for 5 gals.

Quick Reply