Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Advice on my first coffee stout (currently in primary)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
mvdf84
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default Advice on my first coffee stout (currently in primary)

So on Sunday I brewed what looks like it will be a really nice sessionable stout (all grain), and I plan on adding coffee in secondary. I have it fermenting at my Dad's place where I brewed it and it was bubbling like a maniac when I checked it Monday. Gonna check it again tonight but expect it to still be going at a pretty good pace.

Here's what I'm looking for advice on:

This is going to be a Father's Day present so I want it ready to serve by June 16th so I don't want to procrastinate on this. I'm trying to think of what the best schedule may be on this.

1) My brew buddy thinks that racking it to secondary this Sunday will be too soon, but I really think it will be ready, and even if there's still some activity, would it matter much since it's going to secondary?

2) A general consensus from local homebrewers is that cold brewing the coffee for a few days then adding it to secondary would be the best method. I failed to get a recommendation for the amount of coffee. For a 5 gallon batch, how much coffee grinds to how much water would you guys suggest?

3) How long do you think I should keep it in secondary before bottling it to ensure that it has enough time to do it's thing in secondary, but also has enough time to carbonate and mature a bit in the bottles? I fully expect it to be OK by June 16th, but I also expect it to improve as it sits for awhile in the bottles.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
atom
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 17

my advice is skip the secondary, add cold steeped coffee at bottling/kegging. 2-4 oz of coffee in about 24oz of water works depending on how strong you want the coffee flavor.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Stouts usually are pretty quick. I mean i've heard of people going from a 10 day primary to a cold crash and then force carbing in a keg, basically drinking within 20 days. I've never done it but im assuming it was kinda green. I'd go about 10-14 days primary, then maybe 2-3 weeks secondary. Either way i'd use the bottle carb conditioning as ur primary factor in determining secondary time. Try and get it three weeks bottle carbing, so i'd say bottle it around the 23rd or 24th of May.

As far as the coffee, i don't have any experience there, sorry.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild
People Like This 
Old 04-17-2013, 03:37 PM   #4
tmoney645
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My opinion on secondary is that it is unnecessary, but anyways... I added 2oz of cold brewed coffee to my Mocha Oatmeal stout that I made (added during boil) and it was plenty of coffee flavor for me. It really comes down to preference as far as that goes. The coffee I added was very strong as well, so take that into account.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
mvdf84
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
my advice is skip the secondary, add cold steeped coffee at bottling/kegging. 2-4 oz of coffee in about 24oz of water works depending on how strong you want the coffee flavor.
Just wondering here, since I really have no experience with stouts (this is my first)... is it really pointless to put a stout in secondary? Are you guys saying there's no benefit at all and I might as well just add the coffee at bottling and it will be every bit as good? Or are you guys suggesting this because of time restrictions?

Old 04-17-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
TahoeRy
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would add 4oz of coffee beans to secondary for a week and taste to see the flavor contribution. When you do the extraction it can get kind of strong. I have found that most commercial breweries who use coffee use whole beans added to the secondary and it gives a smoother taste and better aroma from the beans.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
Pratzie
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 153 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 112

This is just from what ive read, but stouts don't necessarily benefit from it.

I've never brewed a double batch and put one in a secondary and directly bottled the other, but from what ive read most people don't. Although ill be honest and you'll find this the more u browse the site, not alot of people use a secondary, just an extended primary.

Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild
mvdf84 Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #8
Shred
Non-Recovering Alcoholic
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Cold brewed right in the bottom of the bottling bucket with your priming sugar should be fine. There are no fermentables in the coffee so no reason for secondary. My Irish Mocha Stout was done in secondary, but only because I added cocoa nibs that would take time to infuse their flavor into the brew.

- Shred

Check out my blog!
www.ShredsHomebrews.com

On Tap: Shred's Belgian Pale Ale, Sloppy Seconds (Nirvana 2nd runnings brew)

Primary 1: Nirvana on Cedar (a Utopias inspired brew)
Primary 2: Nirvana on Oak (a Utopias inspired brew)
Primary 3: Hop Demon IV
Primary 4: Shred's Bourbon Barrel Breakfast Stout
Secondary 1: Lambic-Style Sour Ale
Secondary 2: Apple Port

mvdf84 Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #9
mvdf84
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shred View Post
Cold brewed right in the bottom of the bottling bucket with your priming sugar should be fine. There are no fermentables in the coffee so no reason for secondary. My Irish Mocha Stout was done in secondary, but only because I added cocoa nibs that would take time to infuse their flavor into the brew.
Alright, maybe I'll skip secondary and just give it 14 days in Primary before bottling.

My next question would be about keeping this all sanitary. You can boil the water of course, then cool it down to cold brew it... but you can't really sanitize the coffee... right? How about pouring the coffee... use a coffee filter? Should I boil it or something to sanitize it first... or am I being a little too paranoid about contaminating the beer?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #10
mvdf84
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratzie View Post
This is just from what ive read, but stouts don't necessarily benefit from it.

I've never brewed a double batch and put one in a secondary and directly bottled the other, but from what ive read most people don't. Although ill be honest and you'll find this the more u browse the site, not alot of people use a secondary, just an extended primary.
I like to experiment so maybe I'll try that with the next batch and let you know.

Quick Reply