Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Advice: Classic Liquors Coconut Rum (not clearing)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
edgee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Advice: Classic Liquors Coconut Rum (not clearing)

Hi, I need some advice please!

I'm using a Classic Liquors Coconut Rum Kit (http://www.classicliquors.com). Most of the process has gone quite nicely. In the last few days - after a couple of days of adding charcoal - I have got to the stage of adding the sorbate and then finings and am currently waiting "2 to 5 days" for it to clear. It has now been 3 days and there isn't any sign of anything clearing. It's still black with charcoal. My concern is, have I done something wrong (can't think what) or do you think all will be ok?

If it doesn't clear in 7 days, should I look into adding some more finings from somewhere to sort it out? Any advice would be brilliant!

Thank you!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2251 Times on 1608 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

From what I've read, those kits are not very high quality and some others have had problems getting a clear product. Not only that but the yeast flavors are so strong as to make them unpalatable. Normally those things are removed during the distillation process, but since you aren't distilling, they remain, even after carbon filtering.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:36 AM   #3
edgee
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. My homebrew shop say they really enjoyed theirs so I will report back. They also mentioned that they and many other people have experienced it taking a much longer period of time to clear than is stated. I decided to put it in the fridge and it has pretty much cleared within a couple of days so at least I'm getting somewhere!

Old 09-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
edgee
Recipes 

Well, the fridge cleared it in a couple of days. Followed the rest of the instructions and... it's ok.. Probably wouldn't try this particular kit again though, the flavour is quite synthetic, not even the standard of budget coconut rums in the shop. Obviously it's made using a different process but it's not as good as expected.

Quick Reply