Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > adjunct grains for extract??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 05:14 AM   #1
MashStirBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default adjunct grains for extract??

Is it possible to add grain adjuncts like flaked wheat or flakes oats to an extract brew? Or is this something only the AG or Partial mash guys can do? Sorry if this is a noob question but I’m kind of confused about what specialty grains you can experiment with. If I can add flaked wheat or others, do I add it to the grain bag for steeping or use a separate bag and add it towards the end of a boil?? I almost ordered some for my first brew (fat tire clone) which I will hopefully be brewing this weekend. But, I figured I should consult the experts first. Maybe I am just impatient, or slow on the take but I can't quit seem to find much info on this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2007, 05:19 AM   #2
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You can add whatever you want to steep. Adjuncts can be added to the grain bag, but you probably don't get the desired effect unless you put it into the mash.

But you can experiment with anything. Remember that a steep brings color and some flavor to your beer. It adds little else.

I do mostly all grain, but will still do an extract beer if pressed for time.

Cheers.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 04-03-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
DAAB
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try and get hold of some diastatic malt extract and steep your unmalted adjuncts in that at 66-70 deg c otherwise you will just be adding starch and haze to your beer.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:55 AM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhlee1
Is it possible to add grain adjuncts like flaked wheat or flakes oats to an extract brew? Or is this something only the AG or Partial mash guys can do? Sorry if this is a noob question but I’m kind of confused about what specialty grains you can experiment with. If I can add flaked wheat or others, do I add it to the grain bag for steeping or use a separate bag and add it towards the end of a boil?? I almost ordered some for my first brew (fat tire clone) which I will hopefully be brewing this weekend. But, I figured I should consult the experts first. Maybe I am just impatient, or slow on the take but I can't quit seem to find much info on this.
DON"T add it to your boil- you don't want the grains to get over 170 degrees. You add the grains to a grain bag (loosely, don't pack tightly), bring the water up to 155 or so, and steep the grains for 20 minutes or so, occasionally dunking the grain bag like a tea bag.

Where did you get your Fat Tire Clone? I bought one from AHS last summer (an extract kit) and it came with steeping grains and great directions.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #5
MashStirBrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper Chick

Where did you get your Fat Tire Clone? I bought one from AHS last summer (an extract kit) and it came with steeping grains and great directions.

Its the clone from Midwest. It comes with steeping grains I thought maybe I could add some flaked wheat for better head retention? Not that it needs it, just to do something a little different I guess.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Well, it's your brew so you can do what you want. But I would do it "as is" first- you may find it fine the way it is. Then, next time, do something different if you want, so you have something to compare it to. Then, you'll know exactly what you changed and what it added to your brew. If you already have a beg of steeping grains (but don't know what they are and what they do?), what are you hoping to add?

Quick Reply