New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Addition of Rice Hulls for Wheat Beer - ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
dangerbrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Addition of Rice Hulls for Wheat Beer - ?

Should I steep them along with the rest of the grains, or what exactly? I've never used them before and with the grain bill I have right now I'm a little worried about potentially having a stuck mash. Any insight is appreciated.

On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

President and proud member of The Fairmont Homebrewers Club

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
jpc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

I'm confused by the term "steep" in your post... if you are doing all-grain, there is no "steeping" involved; you would mash with rice hulls; they don't have to be in there the whole time, but if added later they will bring down the temperature. The purpose is to add material that is lacking in the wheat to create the filter bed.

If you really are steeping, then there is no need to add them, since you won't be lautering anyway.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Rice hulls help stop stuck sparges with wheat . I soak the rice hulls in warm water (Edworts recommendation) prior to adding to the tun so they don't soak up the wort. Just add some with the other grains grains and mix up well .

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 03-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Lets say I'm brewing with extract and don't plan to do a mash... Would there be no point in adding the hulls since I'm not sparging?

I don't currently have an all-grain set up at the moment, though I am looking into making some tuns with the tutorials on this site.

On Tap/Kegged:"Jack The Lad" British Mild, "Blackbeer'd" Beard Beer-yeast Black IPA, "Stone Tower" Maple Breakfast Coffee Stout, "Captain Meowmer's" Maris-Mosaic SMaSH, "Rye Don't We Try And Smoke It?" Smoked Rye Stout, "Pour Decisions" Pale Ale (w/ Conan), "Chubby Unicorn" Blueberry-Vanilla Witbier, "Batch 100" American Barleywine (1.100 OG, 100 IBU)

Old 03-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts

Nope. If you're doing extract or PM batches, there is no reason why you would be using rice hulls.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #6
dangerbrew
Recipes 

Nice. Money saved.

Quick Reply