Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding to your finished wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 04:32 AM   #1
HughBrooks
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding to your finished wort

Just got done with a belgian wit and my OG was low, about 1.039. Target was about 1.047-1.049. I used a partial mash kit I got from my local shop. Is there anything I can do now to increase the gravity. The yeast has not been pitched yet in hopes of finding a good solution. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
RICLARK

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

What was the recipe Maybe you didn't get very good efficiency on the mash. Was the grain crushed?

Kegged/Bottled: Boston Lager Clone, Crimson Ale, Guiness Draught Clone, Kilt Warmer Scotch Ale, BBB Blonde Ale, Oberon Clone Pt. 1,000

Do I Look Like A Man.....With A Plan??

Local Home Brew Store

www.theredsalamander.com

Old 03-07-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

You can add DME, LME, or even table sugar (properly sanitized), but IMO you can leave it as is. 1.040 Witbier can be quite good.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #4
HughBrooks
Recipes 

Thanks! I went ahead and pitched the yeast. The OG was 1.039. I hope it will be okay.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:00 PM   #5
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

You can always add fermentables later if it doesn't turn out good.

Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-07-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
HughBrooks
Recipes 

How would I go about adding somthing later? And what types of stuff would be best suited for the belgian wit?

Old 03-07-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Was this a full or partial boil?

If it was a partial boil, I would leave it alone. You probably didn't get the wort mixed well enough with top off water which caused you reading to be low.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:03 PM   #8
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HughBrooks View Post
How would I go about adding somthing later? And what types of stuff would be best suited for the belgian wit?
Taste the beer when you take your FG reading. If it doesn't taste right, you can add more fermentables, hops or spices to compensate, using the proper formulas or brewing software to guide your additions. For instance, if your beer tastes way too watery and you don't think carbonation alone will be sufficient to make it enjoyable, you'd do a short, very concentrated wort boil, chill it as usual, and add the new wort to the fermenter. I've salvaged a couple of subpar batches that way, and they turned out nicely.

Let common sense be your guide: If you need more bitterness, boil some hops in dilute wort. If you need more aroma, consider dry hopping. If you need more body, consider adding some amber or munich malt extract, etc.

For a witbier, your options are pretty much wheat extract, maybe some hops and spices, like orange zest, chamomile, juniper berries, etc.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #9
HughBrooks
Recipes 

This was a partial mash by the way. Thanks for the advice that makes me feel a little better. This one will just be a little more of an experiment. If I know that I am going to need more body how soon could I add a new concentrate of wort? That will also be ferminted right? So it will add to the abv and the body?

Last edited by HughBrooks; 03-07-2009 at 05:47 PM.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
RayInUT
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Also, if you want to increase the ABV but leave the body light (which I prefer in a wit) you can just add dextrose mixed with some pre-boiled water. Adding concentrated wort made with malt extract will increase your color too much IMO. You could also add some orange zest, coriander, and maybe some black pepper to a cup of cheap vodka to steep for a few days to add at bottling time if you don't have enough flavor. I would stick with using the dextrose and spice extract rather than malt extract though. By nature, wits should be very light in my opinon (which is exactly that, just my opinion...means nothing whatsoever!).

Quick Reply