The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding your entire Wort to Ferment, oops?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2005, 03:36 PM   #1
Schmitz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding your entire Wort to Ferment, oops?

After several batches, I thought my wort to fermentor bucket/carboy was perfect. I was able to leave 90% of the trub behind.

....until the past 2 batches.

Enter trub and almost all of it. I cant seperate it. I dont even know what I did differently. I cool 3gallons of wort down in my sink surround by ice. This takes it to 90 degress in about 20min. Then I slowly pick up the wort out of the water, sit on the counter and let it sit another 20min to make its settled. Finally, I sanitize my siphon and drain the wort into the fermentor. The trub wont settle. Whats the trick?

I do use wirfloc tablets 20minutes before end of boil. But maybe here is my problem. Wirfloc is for clarity and not coagulation? I should be dropping some gypsum in there?

Did I just answer my own question? And if so, the next one would be what happens if you drop your entire wort, trub and all into the fermentor, repercussions? Or just let it settle, rack to secondary and all is forgiven?

Thanks for any thoughts fellas.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Many people dump the whole thing into their bucket...it will settle out during fermentation and you'll leave it behind when you rack to secondary.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 11-26-2005, 04:04 PM   #3
George
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't sweat the trub. You'll leave it behind in the primary when you transfer to secondary. Some people say that some components of the trub are essential for the yeast.
g

On tap: Small-Dry Hopped w/cascade
Small -no dry hops
Red
Rye
Secondary:More red and rye
Primary: Brown (11 years at this and this is my 1st)

Old 11-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Whirfloc de-natures in about five minutes at a boil, so you added it too soon. Irish Moss (actually seaweed) is more forgiving on the timing. The proteins in the moss will make particles clump and drop out.

Get a big strainer or straining bag. I found a bag at the local wine supply place that fits my fermentor. Line the bucket, pour in wort, remove bag. Also works great for fruit in ciders.

But, almost everything will settle out during the ferment.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Last edited by david_42; 11-26-2005 at 04:57 PM.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:17 PM   #5
Cheesefood
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 18 Posts

When I made my first batch, I dumped everything (trub and all) into the primary. I didn't have a secondary, so it all sat for a couple of weeks. The result was an extremely bitter beer.

The second was strained a little bit more, but still had pungent flavors. It wasn't until I started straining and using a secondary that I made yummy beer. Now I'm totally into fine-meshed hop bags, grain bags, and straining. Makes for a much easier-to-work-with wort.

Past Winners: Caramel Cream Ale #1, Hoegaarden Clone, Boom-Boom Vanilla Ale, Lazy Monk Abbey Style, Amarillo Cream Ale. (AG),

Buy a shirt now!!! Please! Did I help you? Buya shirt!
Cool Shirts.

Old 11-26-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I pour my wort through a nylon mesh net that is mounted to the top of my plastic primary. I have to keep it on using 4 clamps. Once I poured the wort in and the entire net splashed into the fermenter. Oops!

It does a good job of "collecting" any solids in the wort. Except for some of the hop pellet granules. Most of the time the pellets amount to about 2-3 handfulls of hops removed. I usually sparge whatever is caught in the net.

Old 11-27-2005, 03:44 PM   #7
anthrobe

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am still realtively new at brewing but I have always poured trub and all in the primary. I have also always used a secondary which really helps in settling out all the trub. So far every beer has been great!! For my next batch I will be trying to filter out everything.

Old 11-27-2005, 11:07 PM   #8
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I feel your pain. A couple months ago, I had a batch that the trub settled out in the kettle like a work of art. As I drained the wort out and got to the bottom of the kettle, the trub stayed together and never colapsed. I always add moss and whirlpool after the boil but still can't repeat that perfect break.
I think the type of hops used might be a factor. I also noticed if I put a lid on the kettle while waiting for the break to settle it seems to help.

Old 11-30-2005, 02:16 AM   #9
Schmitz
Recipes 

Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

After read this, I relaxed and had a homebrew

Old 11-30-2005, 03:15 AM   #10
ScottT

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Whirfloc de-natures in about five minutes at a boil, so you added it too soon.

Please show me the source for this information. I'm adding with 15 minutes left to boil and it has worked perfectly every time I've used it.

Scott

Primary: Empty

Secondary #2: Empty

Bottle Conditioning: Oatmeal Stout

Drinking from Keg: Ordinary Bitter, Kolsch

Drinking bottled: Brown Autumn Wee Heavy
Hefe Weizen
Peaches and Cream Weizen

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption... Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck.

Next up: Hefe Weizen

Quick Reply