Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding yeast at bottling...?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
ceannt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Adding yeast at bottling...?

I am getting ready to brew a Belgian Trappist style Dark/strong Ale. My research all points to the addition of yeast at bottling. The ratio of about one tenth of the yeast pitched for fermentation seems pretty consistent in the materials I have read. I am thinking about using dried yeast for this (T-58) for a little better control. I have never brewed this style before, so the whole concept of this yeast addition is a tad alien to me…
My question is; how is the best way to evenly distribute this small amount of yeast throughout the beer?
Should I re-hydrate and add it to the bottling bucket along with the dissolved priming sugar prior to siphoning from the fermenter?
I have heard that just putting 2 or three of the yeast “granules” in each bottle works, but dang, that sounds like one intense PITA…. And a good way to screw up by either missing a bottle or two and/or hitting some twice…. Plus, just the thought of separating out the little bitty granules (OK, just where did I put my bifocals?) without risking infection makes me want to slash my wrists.
Anybody have any first- hand experience with this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Arkador
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 10

if you are going to add yeast, I would do it this way...
boil your priming sugar, cool it to 90deg, add your yeast, let it rehydrate for 10min
pour it into the bottling bucket, and rack your beer into the bottling bucket, and fill!

Old 07-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
schristian619
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Although I haven't added yeast at bottling YET, I've read that adding it to the secondary a couple days in advance is ideal. This way, they will finish up any fementables that may be left over and give you a more even carbonation. Maybe someone who does this can chime in.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkador View Post
if you are going to add yeast, I would do it this way...
boil your priming sugar, cool it to 90deg, add your yeast, let it rehydrate for 10min
pour it into the bottling bucket, and rack your beer into the bottling bucket, and fill!
This is exactly what I would do in the situation. However, I am lucky enough to have a small army of 19L stainless steel warriors in my keezer. So I rarely bottle.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #5
ceannt
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Arkador, that is pretty much what I was thinking... thank you for the reasurrance.

schristian619, Hmmmm... that is an interesting idea.

I'm hoping to brew in the next week or so, it will be a couple of months (or more) until I bottle, so I have a bit of time to work it out.

Thank you all.

Quick Reply