Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding water to make up for trub

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Gunpowder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Adding water to make up for trub

I just brewed the one pound Johnny, an imperial ipa with a LOT of hops. I ended up with a ton of trub in the carboy... maybe 3+ inches, so I added the normal amount of water that I usually add... I boil 2.5 gal of water, then I add 3.25 and that usually puts me right at the 5 gallon mark on the carboy. Today I added that and it put me about 3 inches above the 5 gallon mark. This makes sense, given the incredible amount of trub. Did I do this wrong? Should I have filled to the 5 gallon mark? It hardly makes a difference with this brew, its going to be about 10% alcohol with about 130 ibus so maybe watering it down a bit isn't a bad thing....LOL. I'm just curious if people fill to the mark, or if they fill to make up for lots of trub.

Also, you should know, I put almost all of the wort in the carboy, like i usually do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 03:52 AM   #2
Gunpowder
Recipes 

Here's a picture so you know what I mean....

20130112_235123.jpg  

Old 01-13-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'm a dump-everything-into-the-fermenter guy, so my 5 gallon batches are actually 5-1/4 gallons to make up for trub loss. I keep my beers in primary for 3 weeks and by that time the trub has compacted to about 1/4 gallon.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Gunpowder Likes This 
Old 01-13-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Gunpowder
Recipes 

OK so I will take the lack of replies as this is OK :-D

Old 01-14-2013, 01:34 AM   #5
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

You are watering down the wort so you won't get the OG or IBUs that you planned for a 5 gallon batch. If you want to do this on a regular basis, you may want to adjust your recipe for a larger batch size to accommodate the higher volume. No worries though, it will still make beer.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
Gunpowder
Recipes 

That's just the thing, MTB... AM I watering it down, or am I adding water to make up the difference in space that the trub is now occupying? Like I said, I added just as much water as I normally do, except now the level of beer is about 3 inches higher than normal... but the level of trub is also about three inches higher than normal. So in theory, I should have 5 gallons of beer, right??

Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
HomebrewMTB
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Sorry I misunderstood. I thought you added more than normal. I usually filter through a sanitized mesh grain bag when I have a bunch of hops like that to avoid the situation. That way I know what the volume is without all the extra hop matter. A pound of hops will suck up a ton of water though so you may actually be above your target.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
patthebrewer
Manasquan River Brewing LLC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 130

I whirlpool to try and keep as much break material and hops, out of the fermenter, but I adjust my recipes to account for trub loss. I wouldn't add extra water because you'll be changing your intended brew...losing IBU's and OG. Personally, I'd just rather get my beer I planned on no matter how much I lose to trub.

ManasquanRiverBrewingllc@outlook.com

"Custom Hand Crafted Fine Brewing Implements, Mash Paddles & Wood Working For Brewers by a Brewer. Serving both Pro Brewers and Home Brewing Customers"

Available thru the Fine Folks at MoreBeer! Inc., and Love2Brew.com.

Also available thru select Local Home Brew Stores
World Wide.

Like us on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ManasquanRiverBrewingLLC?ref=hl

Old 01-22-2013, 12:35 AM   #9
BridgeBrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Its totally up to you if you want to add water or not to adjust your batch size. If you have a hydrometer you could check the O.G. and see if you need/want an adjustment to you O.G. Then you will know if you are running true to your recipe or kit.

Quick Reply