Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding sour/tart finish to wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2014, 01:11 AM   #11
pegasus_brew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxal View Post
You mean flush it with CO2? Oxygen is what allows pediococcus to ferment a sour mash greater than lactobacillus and cause the rotten smell of butyric acid.
I've done many a sour mash, and just covered the pot or put plastic wrap n the surface to make an anaerobic environment with good results.
Really no skill involved, just some wort, handful of raw grain, and a little time with a warm temperature...
Cheers.
Sorry, you're right, CO2. Before I had the ability to flush with CO2 I had a few berliners come out fine and then one that was pure baby diaper. Nothing changed in my process between the first two and the third one, which was to transfer to the boil kettle, add the grain, and let it sit at around 100f for a few days until I was happy with the level of tartness. It made me a little uncomfortable brewing them until I started kegging. Haven't had that problem since.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2014, 06:27 AM   #12
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I've added a measured amount (1-5ml) to each bottle of 88% lactic acid at packaging when I thought the beer needed a punch... or I was just screwing around. Use a pipette

Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #13
giant
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Wow, thanks everyone. This thread really took off and there are some great thoughts/tips offered.

Something I didn't know about passionfruit is that it's quite sour on its own, so what I've decided to do is try this variety a few times, trying a new variation each time. Batch 1 I'm going with lime juice/passionfruit at 0 min, and then adding again once fermentation is complete.

If that doesn't add a decent punch (I suspect it won't), I'm going to experiment with sour mash and 88% Lactic Acid to learn more about those methods. At worst, I get some experience that I can use when experimenting in the future.

I bought some Goya Passionfruit pulp from the grocery's freezer section and took a taste. Boy is it tart!

Quick Reply