Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding priming sugar if not bottling....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2006, 03:52 PM   #1
schismatic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding priming sugar if not bottling....

Should I add my priming sugar to my barrel just before I add my beer if I don't intend on bottling it? I intend on just leaving it in the barrel and then just using the barrel's tap to dispense it. Is this the right way to go about it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

It's a good way to keep CO2 on the barrel & prevent oxidation.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #3
Mike-H

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I assume you are talking about a corny keg? I dont understand, you dont have a co2 system or something? Your barrel has a "tap"? I'm lost, could you please explain more

Old 10-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #4
schismatic
Recipes 

this it the barrel i have - http://www.easybrew.co.uk/product_de...625d16ac4150c2
- and this is the priming sugar - http://www.easybrew.co.uk/product_de...625d16ac4150c2 how do i use this stuff? i'm not really sure....

tom

Old 10-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #5
todd_k

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

if priming a keg with sugar, you don't use as much as you do when you bottle. I believe it's .33 cup of corn sugar. Do a search for 1982 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, it's Papazian's recipe and I put the exact measurement in that recipe. I don't keg so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Primary:
Secondary:
Conditioning:
Kegged: Smoked Porter

Old 10-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

While I think you can prime with sugar in that ball, you'll probably still need to apply pressure to serve the beer out of the spigot without letting the beer go flat towards the middle to end of the batch. As you serve, the pressure that built up during priming will push some beer out, but as it comes out of solution, the beer goes flat. You'll probably need some kind of CO2 cylinder, even if they're the disposable kind.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-18-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree w/ bobby. I looked at that product page, and it says that there's an inlet valve---which makes me think that you could attach a CO2 tank to it.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 10-18-2006, 06:05 PM   #8
Ol' Grog
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Echo the pressure attachment. They are there for something. Priming sugar, I'd use the same as for bottling. I've read the debate on using less sugar, but not one really good explaination. Also, since your going to have to have some pressure to serve it, the only thing that more priming sugar will do is create more CO2 pressure, and that would be a good thing in your situation. Prime on!!!

Old 10-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #9
schismatic
Recipes 

thanks guys, i do indeed have a CO2 canister that I can use, thanks for the suggestions about when to use it - ".....go flat towards the middle to end of the batch..." how long do you guys suggest i let the brew sit in the keg for after adding it to the priming sugar before it's ready to consume? am i likely to get much additional krausen?

Old 10-18-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 912 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I assume it will take about the same amount of time as if it were being bottle conditioned; 1-3 weeks. I think you'd be able to wait about a week after you prime, add the serving CO2 pressure and see if you like th e carb level. If not, I assume waiting a little longer would still add more carbonation even though you have serving pressure on it. I'm guessing, so I'd wait for an answer on this. Another thought is the possibility of overpressuring that container by applying serving pressure before all the natural carbonation has occured. What do ya'll think?

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Quick Reply