Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding oak chips and bourbon?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2011, 06:36 AM   #1
petrostar
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Adding oak chips and bourbon?

I brewed up my own recipe of an imperial Stout and would like to try adding some bourbon/oakey flavor and aroma to it.

What is the proper technique for this? Do I sanitize the wood chips? Where do I get the wood chips? What kind of bourbon works well? What type of wood yields the best results in your opinion?

Should I weigh the chips down in a bag in the secondary? Thanks again for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #2
jfrank85
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I put 8oz Makers Mark in a quart jar with 2 oz of medium american oak chips (just enough to cover the chips and account for soak up) for about one month and then tossed it into the secondary for about 3 months. The time sat on the oak can vary depending on how much oak/bourbon taste you want.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
Taypo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrank85 View Post
I put 8oz Makers Mark in a quart jar with 2 oz of medium american oak chips (just enough to cover the chips and account for soak up) for about one month and then tossed it into the secondary for about 3 months. The time sat on the oak can vary depending on how much oak/bourbon taste you want.
This. We used 16oz of bourbon but same method and rough timeline.

Primary: Innkeeper
Secondary: Dawson's Kriek, Wee Heavy
Bottled: Spiced Holiday Ale,
Drinking: Moose Drool Clone, Irish Red, Oaked Whiskey Vanilla Porter, Milk Stout, NB Innkeeper Kit (West Yorkshire), NB Mild Ale (West Yorkshire), American Wheat
Planning: Irish Red, Patersbier,

Old 12-27-2011, 03:18 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2257 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 1241

Some people steam their chips. I didn't do that, but I added 1 ounce of Oak to a cup sized mason jar and filled with bourbon for a couple of weeks. Then added all of it to the secondary. It was VERY mild flavor. I'd double it next time, easy. The bourbon almost came across as a sweetness IMO. A light vanilla flavor.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2750 Times on 1649 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Many of us on here have used these in beers quite often. I've used the same bag for years, a little goes a long way. And it's like 8 bucks for a big resealable bag.

Lately I've been steaming them in a small collander for 20 minutes, and then I soak them in a mason jar full of more jack for a week or two, then dump them bourbon and all into the secondary. And at 7 bucks for a huge bag, you get a lot of uses of them.

I got that trick from biermuncher.

I've also been dry toasting them lately. I use one of my cast iron pans, get it hot, and then drop them in the pan and move them around for 5-15 minutes or so. They will darken, and toast up really nice. I've just been going by nose more than anything.

I do that, then steam and then soak in jack.

How to sanitize really is determined by when you want to use them. If you know on brew day you want to oak it in secondary, and are palnning to secondary it after two weeks or a month, then soaking them in a mason jar with jack for 2-4 weeks is perfect. The booze should kill all the critters off.

If I suddenly wake up and decide that I might want to oak some beer I wasn't planning on before. Then I steam them, and while they are hot and the pores are open I drop them in a jar of jack and let them sit for an hour or two to absorb, then drop the whole shebang in.

Another friend of mine goes to his favorite bbq joint that sells their smoking wood by the bag.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
petrostar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

This is all such good info. How exactly are you steaming the wood chips and for how long? I noticed those jack Daniels chips recently at Cabelas. I'll be going that route since my beer is going on 2 weeks in primary tomorrow.

Old 02-13-2012, 05:08 PM   #7
petrostar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Revvy, I just wanted to say thank you for the awesome idea about the JD Oak Chips. I toasted them and then soaked in JD. They turned out WONDERFUL!!! I bottled yesterday, sat in secondary for 2 weeks with the soaked chips. I took the other 5 gallons of the 10 gallon batch of oatmeal stout I did and added really strong brewed coffee and Cooked bittersweet baking chocolate. It turned out so Subtle and so smooth. These forums are so great for helping brewers hone their craft. Thanks

Old 02-14-2012, 12:52 AM   #8
IanPC
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What beers are good for using oak chips, and do any other beers benefit from a different type of wood or alcohol. Let's say scotch?

Old 02-14-2012, 01:24 AM   #9
drainbamage
Something something danger zone
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 486 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 876

I'm looking to try this out sometime this year...thanks for some starting tips. As far as sanitation goes, steaming and bourbon-soaking seems redundant? (if you are planning on soaking in bourbon)

Has anyone tried any different brands? I'll probably end up using Maker's, but I also have a large bottle of Bulleit, and I'm a little curious how the higher rye content would affect a beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanPC View Post
What beers are good for using oak chips, and do any other beers benefit from a different type of wood or alcohol. Let's say scotch?
IPA's occasionally use oak chips (to imitate the original English versions that were shipped in oak barrels). Most of the bourbon barrel beers I've tried have been darker, heavier beers like stouts, porters, and strong/old ales that can stand up to the caramel and vanilla flavors imparted by the bourbon. I haven't heard too much of other liquors being used, but I can imagine some rums might work well...*begins brainstorming*

Old 02-14-2012, 02:11 AM   #10
chris200
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

1 oz chips, one airplane bottle Jim Beam black, for a few days, the into secondary 6 days then bottle. Did this with a sweet stout, has nice oak flavor, and just the essesence of the liquor.

Quick Reply