Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding ice to cool the wort down?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
AL73
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Cooling the wort is the only thing i wish to be more easily done, i use a 50 ft SS wort chiller and in the summer i have little extra work reaching the apropiate desired temps (let say 65F-68F), but no problem during the winter
I think using frozen water bottles is a good idea, im just concern about if it is a plastic reaction with high temp,. yeah i know the bottles are freeze but just wondering if someone have an idea of this

saludoss

Al

A la Salud!

Al Equihua

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I'm definitely going the "pond pump in bucket of ice-water" method as soon as I can. Running ~35* water through the IC should make a huge difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 10-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #23
ANewrBrewr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

It sounds like you are actually putting the plastic jugs in the wort?? Why would you do that? If adding ice I would just simply freeze the water in baking pans or tupperware or something the night before the brew and drop the giant ice cube in. I also agree with the guys about adding near freezing water to the wort. FYI-I'm currently doing 10gallon batches full grain using two wort chillers; one in the wort and one as a pre-chiller in a 5 gallon ice bath. We can bring the temps. down pretty quickly, but as you can see it is a lot of equipment, cleaning, sanitizing, etc. That is why I would love to just add the cold water/ice as a top off. Sometime I will compare the final product to the same beer I've brewed using the chillers and see if there is a difference. Next batch will be the first wet hopped IPA from the greenhouse hops!!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #24
ACbrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Frozen sanatized water bottles don't change the wort volume. If you are a full volume brewer, then it woudl be a way to go to help speed chilling in absence of a wort chiller.

Old 10-16-2012, 02:51 AM   #25
ANewrBrewr
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

Sooooo I just brewed using ice to cool the temp. down instead of my wort chiller (well that was the plan). So we added 1 gallon of near frozen water, 33F to 4 gallons of wort.....the temps went from around 200 to about 140! Pretty fast drop, but far from where I need to be, around 70F. I ended up hooking the wort chiller up to bring it the rest of the way down. I think next time I will use the wort chiller to bring the temps down to around 90 then add some ice to finish the job, for me the last 10-20 degrees are the hardest to drop, probably due to the fact that the water going into my wort chiller is around 80F (I live in the desert).

So if one wants to use ice to bring temps down from boiling I'm assuming you would have to use at least a 50/50 ratio of ice to wort, that makes doing a full boil impossible, and this is why people use wort chillers. TA-DA! I knew there would be a reason, but no one seemed to have the answer.

Old 10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #26
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewrBrewr View Post
This may seem like a "dumb" question, however.......Why not just add ice to your wort to bring down to yeast temps.? I understand that by adding new water to the wort you will dilute it and that will have slight variance on your flavor, very minimal I'm assuming (i brew 7 gallon batches, so possible adding one gallon worth of ice). However it seems that for all of the hassle of counterflows, chillers and other devices it would be easier to just add ice. I also understand the sanitation issues with ice as well.

I did this all of the time when I used to do partial boils. It worked perfectly for me every time.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 10-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #27
dfc
Audio Engineer/Instructor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGarnigle View Post
Commercial bagged ice is regulated as a food product by the FDA. Whether this guarantees that it is sanitary enough for dumping into wort, I don't know. But you could say the same thing about bottled water.

http://www.foodsafety.gov/blog/packaged_ice.html
I don't trust the FDA anyway, but I always filtered my own water and put it in rubbermaid containers in the freezer. It always worked just fine.

Kegged: Beer
Bottled: Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer, Beer.
Primary: Beer
Secondary: Beer

How to brew extract (with pictures!)

How to brew extract (Video)

Simple bottling process

Old 10-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #28
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewrBrewr View Post
So if one wants to use ice to bring temps down from boiling I'm assuming you would have to use at least a 50/50 ratio of ice to wort, that makes doing a full boil impossible, and this is why people use wort chillers. TA-DA! I knew there would be a reason, but no one seemed to have the answer.
We had the answer. The people who suggested the method you used likely were talking about partial boils that added significant amounts of water to top-off. Either way, it's a math problem. The only real fast way to chill wort is counter-flow or plate-chiller, many of which can chill it to pitching temps as it drains into the fermenter as opposed to 10-15 minutes chilling in the kettle THEN racking to fermenter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!
ANewrBrewr Likes This 
Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 AM   #29
LoboViejo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first post here..I am also from Tijuana Mexico, and I use a combination of ice surrounding the pot, cold water and some ice cubes inside...this ice cubes are from a bag I got from the around the corner store, so it is sanitized....my batches are 5 glls, so my question here, is, does this changes the OG drastically?

Old 12-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #30
PackerfaninSanDiego
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 6

wow.I learned something new today. even though I already have a wort chiller, would I use frozen water bottles knowing what I know now? you betcha. How many regular sized frozen water bottles would it take? I may use this idea during the hot summer months, to finish cooling the wort when my water temps from the hose will be 85 degrees

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

Quick Reply