The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > adding hops LATE to reduce bitterness

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2006, 05:41 AM   #1
VermontFreedom
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default adding hops LATE to reduce bitterness

I'm brewing from kits (LD Carlson and Yankee from Mass). Like very strong ales, stouts, porters, Belgians, etc. etc. But always displeased with how bitter they are. Always follow recipe, which usually is to add bittering hops at start of boil and flavoring for last 5 of a 1-hour boil.

Pretty much stuck with whatever hops come with the kits: goldings, fuggle, cascade, etc. Any recommendations for good aroma/flavor without too much bitterness.

Also considering not adding hops until 1/2 way through boil, or perhaps 1/3 first 20 minutes, 1/3 next 20, etc. or some variation.

Any help much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 08:07 AM   #2
beyondthepale

Recipes 

Well, the later you add the hops the less bitterness you'll get. You can also add less, because you probably still want at least some of the hop bitterness for balance, especially with stronger beers. But the only way to really get the beers you want to drink is to eschew the kits and make your own recipes.

Vermont, eh? I'm from NH, I always really liked Vermont. Have you by any chance ever been to McNeils?

Bottled/Conditioning:

Bottled/Drinking: Monadnock IPA

Keg: Empty

Coming soon: Bravery's Prophecy, Muckraker Stout

Old 04-06-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My advice would be to work out your IBU's if you don't already. Theres some equations on this site and plenty others. It might put you off at first but its pretty easy. Say your last beer was 60 IBU's and you found that too bitter; just reduce the bittering hops by a half (or whatever) and you'll have 30 IBU's - then you'll know what 30 tastes like. Theres also plenty of applications which will to the maths for you. You could haphazardly throw them in late but you won't have much of a reference point for next time. Plus you might be overwhelmed with aroma.

But yeah, like the guy above said, just ditch the kits and make your own up (using a recipe as a starting point). Theres tonnes of hops easily available to play about with - check out the hops preference poll on the recipe forum. The alpha acid rating gives you an idea of how strong they are.

Last edited by mysterio; 04-06-2006 at 11:15 AM.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:51 PM   #4
DragonTail

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Are you using specialty grains with your extract? You could also be getting some "bitter" flavor from the darker grains.

Michael Herrenbruck
Herrenbruck Brewery
L.C.Q. Racing

Old 04-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
ajf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 39

In my experience, strong beers need plenty of aging before they become mellow. I've made brews that needed well over a year in the bottles before drinking.

-a.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

Changing the timing also changes the components that are extracted. I'd just add half the bittering hops at 60 minutes and freeze the rest in a baggie. One way to work up an assortment.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #7
Rookie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
Changing the timing also changes the components that are extracted. I'd just add half the bittering hops at 60 minutes and freeze the rest in a baggie. One way to work up an assortment.
I agree. Using less at 60 minutes leaves some for a future batch. It's like getting free hops.(sorta)

Rookie
"We all put the yeast in", Larry, Moe & Curley.

Quick Reply