Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding Hops After the Fact

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
Gilbey
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding Hops After the Fact

I have a batch I brewed and kegged a couple weeks ago. The hops I used were home grown which was cool, but they were not very strong at all. And in fact the beer is much to malty for my taste without the hop bitterness to offset it. My question is, other than dry hopping, has anyone ever added hops to a batch that was finished?

My hairbrain idea was to boil just hops in a quart of water for an hour just like in a wort, but without out the malt, and then opening the keg and dumping it in. Will this work?

Thanks!

Gilbey

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
Shambolic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

According to what I've read, the malt actually helps extract bitterness and flavour from the hops, so if you go with this plan, dissolve a few spoonfuls of extract in the water...

Old 09-22-2005, 12:36 AM   #3
Sir Sudster

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbey
I have a batch I brewed and kegged a couple weeks ago. The hops I used were home grown which was cool, but they were not very strong at all. And in fact the beer is much to malty for my taste without the hop bitterness to offset it. My question is, other than dry hopping, has anyone ever added hops to a batch that was finished?

My hairbrain idea was to boil just hops in a quart of water for an hour just like in a wort, but without out the malt, and then opening the keg and dumping it in. Will this work?

Thanks!

Gilbey
This would be a good opportunity to try Hop extract oil. Do a Google search on Hop extract oil.

Old 09-22-2005, 12:44 AM   #4
Shambolic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudster
This would be a good opportunity to try Hop extract oil. Do a Google search on Hop extract oil.

The only problem is that won't give any bitterness...

Old 09-25-2005, 02:37 AM   #5
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I think an easy way to add some bitterness would be at bottling time. Boil some high alpha hops for an hour or so in about a quart of water, strain and use this to make your priming sugar.

Old 09-25-2005, 04:54 AM   #6
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilbey

Thanks!

Gilbey

Honestly, I'd brew a double hoppy batch and mix the 2. Its the only real way you are going to fix that other batch.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Quick Reply