Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 09:29 PM   #81
SteveM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Mine is now in the bottle. I just finished cleaning up ten minutes ago (at which time I was tossed from the kitchen).

The yield was about what I expect - just over four gallons in the bottling bucket. It came out to 4.5 bottles short of two cases (12 ounce bottles). This is an all time low for me but was not unexpected. The half bottle I tried and even rough, sludgy and flat, it was tasty. It also tasted quite strong (as in, alcohol content). I was hoping for this.

The clarity is nice - a week in the primary, a week in the secondary with 36 ounces of blueberries, and a week in the tertiary (really, the secondary cleaned out and resanitized while my beer waited in my primary bucket). Plus Irish Moss, which I wanted to use because my last fruit beer, made using rice solids, was kind of cloudy.

If it tastes good, I will post the whole recipe. The last four bottles, I had to tilt the bottling bucket to get. No way I was leaving them in there!! These have a different cap from all the others and are my test bottles. I will probably pop one around Wednesday or Thursday.

Here's hoping!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2006, 01:28 AM   #82
kevy_kev
Recipes 

i just bottled the fruitless counterpart and while I was bottling it I pulled a sample from the strawberry. It is clearing up, not clear yet, but it lets light thru where before it didnt. I still moved it to the basement for another week of clearing. so I am planning to forget about it till next weekend

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Old 03-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #83
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just racked my rasberry ale to teriary last night to get it off the berry debris. It is still a little cloudy, so it is going into the basement for a week, then upstairs for a day, then bottling. It tasted good, though I need more berries next time. It also came out fairly dry, but in a good way. All in all, a success so far. I picked up a 1G glass jug for next time, so that I don't waste what I need to take off the top to add fruit-that was a shame. It also is good for starters, one of which I have going right now!

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 03-14-2006, 03:03 AM   #84
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I just finished bottling my Strawberry Ale.

After 15 days in teriary, it wasn't getting clear. It did have a couple inchs at the bottom that looked like the pulp in a glass of Lemonade, plus a little yeast around the edge of the carboy.

It sure tasted good, probably drank a pint that I caught as it dribbbled out of a leak in the bottling bucket. Sour, just about enough (remember I started with a sour mash). But not much strawberry flavor. Maybe blue/black/rasp- berries would retain flavor better? I primed with invert sugar that I cooked up yeasterday. FG was 1.006, I'm guesstimating about 3.5% ABV, I wanted to be able to drink lots of it on some hot day this summer, while I work on my Power Wagon.

I will definetely brew more fruit beers, and more sour beers too.

Anybody want to trade samples? PM me...

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 03-15-2006, 04:55 PM   #85
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I took a look at mine last night. For the first time ever, I wished I had used one clear bottle to monitor how the beer is coming. It is darn hard to see color through a brown bottle, but it looks to me like it is clearing nicely. I am going to wait until the weekend to try my first one.

In the mean time, I need to find a "cappable" clear bottle for the next time.

Old 03-15-2006, 05:23 PM   #86
Truble

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have been buying some soda in clear bottles (a nice micro brand black cherry soda), and I have kept the bottles for this specific purpose. They are screw tops, but for 1 bottle per batch, I am willing to risk it. I usually use a flashlight shining through to gauge the clearing process. It is not a perfect solution, but the soda bottles will be great. I have used plastic soda bottles to gauge carbonation in the past too.

Primary: Octoberfest
mini 1G Primary: nichts
Secondary #1: #97 Pale Ale
Secondary #2 nichts
Bottled/Conditioning: nichts

Fully ConditionedDrinking: nichts
All Gone!:
Everything

Old 03-16-2006, 09:42 PM   #87
bazeballdadx
Recipes 

Racked to a third carboy to clarify... it was pretty difficult because the siphon kept clogging up with cherry skins. I ended up switching to a funnel and a screen to transfer, even though I worried about splashing the beer like that.

By the time i finished, it looked like a cherry smoothie or something...

Old 03-16-2006, 10:40 PM   #88
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazeballdadx
...By the time i finished, it looked like a cherry smoothie or something...
I was thinking that cherry flavor might be a good one but this does not sound inviting!

Meantime, mine will be sample on Sunday evening - it looks clear already through the bottles, I will be drinking from a nice tall 14 ounce Pilsener that should show the color and (hoped for) clarity nicely.

Old 03-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #89
kevy_kev
Recipes 

my strawberry Ale has been in the basement for almost a week now and as of a few minutes ago it is still pretty cloudy. I am going to go ahead and bottled tonight or tomorrow and just chalk it up as a cloudy beer since it isnt getting much clearer down in colder temps.
it will have over a month to clarify and condition in the bottles so hopefully that helps some.

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Old 03-19-2006, 09:12 PM   #90
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM
The last four bottles, I had to tilt the bottling bucket to get. No way I was leaving them in there!! These have a different cap from all the others and are my test bottles. I will probably pop one around Wednesday or Thursday.
The test bottles - well, at least one of them - will be opened tonight.

Meantime, today was an unplanned brew day. My wife and I foolishly went out of town and left the kids home. My daughter and her girlfriends (all of age) drank up half my house beer. Bah! This is why I always have commercial beers on hand. I like to show guests, by word and body language, that my beers are not up to commercial standards. Ah well, sometimes the secret gets out.

Quick Reply