Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #11
AllHoppedUp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumbaa
Remember when you add the juice or fruit you will get another ferment with noticable airlock activity. I didnt get a second krausen but with the airlock activity it wouldnt have shocked me if I did.
I have a Huckleberry Hefe in my secondary right now and I got a HUGE second krausen. The first time I made this beer I added the fruit to the primary and it worked great - I think I'll do that from now on. When I added the fruit to my 5 gal. secondary my airlock was full of crap within a couple hours. I replaced it with a blowoff hose and that sucker spewed for nearly a week. It finally subsided but now all the berries are kinda stuck at the top of my carboy. I shake it up a bit every day to try to get them down in the beer (where the yeast is) but I'm not convinced that it's working as well as when I put the fruit in the primary. On top of that, I'll probably have to rack to tertiary just to try to clear the thing up. All that fermentation in the secondary has created another layer of trub at the bottom of the carboy and clarity is pretty close to nil.

AHU

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2006, 02:58 PM   #12
32indian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Is there any reason NOT to add fruit to the PRIMARY after 3 or 4 days when fermentation is slowing and you are about to rack to secondary? This would eliminate any problems with krausen in the 5 gallon carboy, and excessive trub from the fruit.

Leave it in primary another 5 days or so, then rack to secondary. So total time in primary would be about 9 days, which in my opinion, is not harmfull.

I may try this!

-Tom

Old 02-06-2006, 10:56 PM   #13
Franiblector
Recipes 

quick question...when you racked to secondary and put the blueberries in...did you rack to a 7 gallon or 5 gallon carboy?
trying to figure out if i need to get another set of carboys to do fruit beers...
thanks in advance!

Old 02-06-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
Franiblector
Recipes 

nevermind...posted before i read the last few comments.
i'm thinking of adding the blueberries to primary like 32indian said...

Old 02-06-2006, 11:10 PM   #15
32indian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default fruit in primary

OK, I did do this, and it worked fine for me.

When primary ferment was 4 days old, and just about done, I added 3.5 lbs. of raspberries that were steeped in 160 deg. F water (just enough to cover) for about 20 minutes to sanitize, this pretty much turned them into a "slurry" of thick consistency, yet great smelling raspberries.
I added this whole mess to the primary bucket, fermentation resumed for about 3 more days with thin layer of foam on top, not real bad.
I then racked into glass carboy for seconday ferment, I used a 6.5 gallon one just to be safe, but it was NOT needed, a 5 gallon one would work fine. 95% of raspberry skins and trub stayed behind, some floaters got thru (mostly raspberry skins), this posed no problem.
After 7 days in secondary, I racked to bottling bucket and bottled with priming sugar as normal. That was a week ago. I guess it's time to try one tonight!

-Tom

Old 02-06-2006, 11:13 PM   #16
Franiblector
Recipes 

thanks for the quick reply!
sounds like a plan. my only issue is that i don't use plastic anymore - only glass carboys. i'm thinking about straining the blueberries after i steep and before i add to the primary.

let us know how it tastes, tom!

Old 02-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #17
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You could also use "Orgegon" fruit pruree. It is already sanitized. You just dump it in.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 02-07-2006, 02:20 AM   #18
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default Same with me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHopped up
When I added the fruit to my 5 gal. secondary my airlock was full of crap within a couple hours. I replaced it with a blowoff hose and that sucker spewed for nearly a week. It finally subsided but now all the berries are kinda stuck at the top of my carboy. AHU
Same thing happened to my secondary when I added cherry puree.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 02-07-2006, 02:33 AM   #19
32indian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franiblector

let us know how it tastes, tom!

I tried it, still needs some more time to carbonate in the bottle, but, the 3.5 lbs. of raspberries was plenty, VERY GOOD! Mine is a light beer, only 3.6% alcohol and 15 IBU's of tettnager hops so the fruit flavor stands above the others.
I brewed this as a 10 gallon batch, and split it into this version with the real beeries, and the other 5 gallons went into a keg, where I added 4 oz. of the raspberry fruit flavoring extract, then force carbonated it.
The one with the exctract may be a little better beleive it or not, I was suprised as well. Of course with it being force carbonated, it is already up to the proper level and the fruit flavor is just about perfect for my taste. My wife even liked it

I will be making this one again.

-Tom

Old 02-07-2006, 02:23 PM   #20
jeffg

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I put this in another thread recently, but my MO has always been to just add the fruit to the end of the boil, after the flame is off so they do not in fact boil, and steep them for about 15 minutes. Then, you can either add the whole mess to the primary or strain them out at that point. I have added whole fruit to the primary from the get go and it did not inhibit primary fermentation at all...

Bottled: Salvator Dopplebock
Up Next: Octoberfest

Quick Reply