Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #121
Fatkeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Raspberrys

I picked 5 pounds of Raspberries from my garden. Froze them for about a month. Then quickly swished around some sanitizer, then strained and added to secondary and it turned out alright. Next time I think I will skip the sanitizer route and just add frozen to see if it changes anything. Turned out good though.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 04:57 AM   #122
Dimych
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I did a take on a hefe-weisen, which is about done in primary... I'm planning on racking it onto a pasteurized blueberry purée into secondary and hope that it retains enough flavor once it is done bubbling for the second time around, as I really don't want to do artificial flavoring.

For 2.5 gal batch, doing 2 lbs of blueberries - frozen, and puréed afterwards.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:03 AM   #123
normalstin
Recipes 

I sanitized using Vodka.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:33 AM   #124
Beaner1082
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ive heard to add potassium metasulphites. Does anyone have any experience doing this?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:47 PM   #125
aqualung23
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't do anything. Freeze the fruit and throw it straight into the bottom of the carboy.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #126
fearwig
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaner1082 View Post
Ive heard to add potassium metasulphites. Does anyone have any experience doing this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT Ray View Post
As soon as some fresh fruit comes into season, leanig towards peaches, I am going to make a fruit weizen. I plan on making a course puree to add to the secondary and using campden tablets to sanitize the must prior to racking.
Campden/potassium metabisulphate doesn't really sanitize, it's just a wild yeast/bacteria inhibitor. It can also inhibit the yeast you want, as I understand it. I think to use enough that it is guaranteed to work, you'd be negatively impacting your beer, and pasteurization is much much easier. 160F is enough (I often say 170F to be safe but 160F and then a quick cool really is sufficient as long as you really get up to that temp).

I understand you're also just fine going with untreated fruit, though personally I'd want to blanch or thoroughly wash fresh peaches just to kill surface yeasts (most of the fruit wouldn't take any heat that way).

Primary: 1/2bbl Session Saison

Old 06-04-2014, 03:50 AM   #127
Fishn-tin-sean
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32indian View Post
I tried it, still needs some more time to carbonate in the bottle, but, the 3.5 lbs. of raspberries was plenty, VERY GOOD! Mine is a light beer, only 3.6% alcohol and 15 IBU's of tettnager hops so the fruit flavor stands above the others.
I brewed this as a 10 gallon batch, and split it into this version with the real beeries, and the other 5 gallons went into a keg, where I added 4 oz. of the raspberry fruit flavoring extract, then force carbonated it.
The one with the exctract may be a little better beleive it or not, I was suprised as well. Of course with it being force carbonated, it is already up to the proper level and the fruit flavor is just about perfect for my taste. My wife even liked it

I will be making this one again.

-Tom
32 dod you have the complete recipe for the above beer? Sounds good!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 PM   #128
OKCAg2002
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read about a third of this thread, so perhaps my question has been answered.

A lot of you guys put your fruit in 160 degree water to sanitize. I'm planning on doing a mango beer. If I steep the frozen mangos in some water for 20 minutes, do you then just add that to the secondary? Water and all? Wouldn't that dilute the beer? And how do you cool it before you rack the beer on top of it?

Old 06-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #129
fearwig
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 186 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 99

If you're using a fairly small amount of water you don't need to worry about dilution or the temperature. You could do it with beer instead of water, if you care.

For 160F to pasteurize you really need to get the mangos themselves up to that temperature though, not just the water you put them in (relevant since they're frozen). Some people don't bother sanitizing frozen fruit.

Primary: 1/2bbl Session Saison

Old 06-20-2014, 10:00 PM   #130
flippedcracker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Just read through all of this thread. Racking my ipa over some mango next week. Thanks for the tips.

Quick Reply