Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 08:25 PM   #111
FlyingHumanoid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Well if you don't mind the juice being separate from the actual fruit pieces, using a pressure cooker is a good way to easily remove the juice from basically any fruit. As far as sanitizing, I'm not sure on the exact amount of time it would take leaving the fruit in the pressure cooker, but it would also be a viable method for sanitizing the fruit as well.

I was planning on employing this method with fresh blueberries since they are so hard to get the flavor out. This simplifies everything.

Here's a link to a more in depth explanation on how to do this.

http://www.hippressurecooking.com/2011/08/blackberry-italian-soda-from-your.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #112
35se
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

My wheat has been sitting in primary for about a week. After reading this thread I am thinking of adding fruit to the primary now and letting it sit for another 1.5-2 weeks then moving it over to secondary to clear. That way I can taste it and possibly add a little more fruit to the secondary if im not satisfied with the taste.

Wondering if that would be a good approach to it or if others have tried that before and dont recommend it? Not sure what adding more fruit will do as it ages. Like if it will be to overpowering at the end?

Thinking of going 4lbs cherries for my 5 gallon batch.

Primary- Blue Loon
Secondary-
Bottled- NB American Wheat (cherry)

On deck- Belgian Pale ale or Oatmeal Stout

Old 09-06-2012, 04:28 PM   #113
Streeter
Recipes 

Seems this is an old thread and many people posted to it but not many provided results near the end.

I can't help much with the cherry wheat because it is still in the secondary but I will share what I did and try to get back here to post results.

I got about 3# of fresh cherries they said Reinier and they tasted sweet to me, not sour or tangy. Here are my notes-

8/18/12 Hugh Hefner Weizen (Cherry)
OG-1.054
1.012 gravity on 8/29/12 @65degrees. Racked to secondary with cherries after 11 days in primary - Bubbling had slowed to over a minute before racking

7.2lbs Wheat LME
8oz. Flaked Wheat, 8oz Flaked Oats
White Labs 320 American Hefeweisen Yeast

Added 3lbs of Rainier Cherries (sweet) $3/lb sale @Meijer. Soaked in pan with 1/2gal or more water with two crushed campden tablets in warm water for 3 hours. the cherries started splitting. Dried them in strainer, put in gallon ziplock and smashed with fingers. Froze in freezer for 24 hours. Racked to secondary BUCKET for space since cherries went to over 6 gallons ~ 6.25. Liquid beer was at 5.5 gallons before cherries added so account for the space (couldn't fit in carboy).

9/5/12 Now it is 7 days in secondary and still no bubbling that I notice from airlock. Many people said the fruit added much sugar and kicked in more fermentation. I think either the campden tabs ended it or it was just so far done when I racked to secondary that the suspended yeast didn't kick in for more. I have read stories of airlocks or lids blowing off after fruit, but not for me. When I added honey to my last batch in secondary it started re-fermenting for another 3 weeks!

Old 09-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #114
JayInJersey
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Haven't read all this...but this is usually when I toss in this link http://hbd.org/brewery/library/SugAcid.html

As to sanitizing the fruit two words: Popov Vodka

(I don't know is Popov is a national brand, but in Jersey its the lowest priced vodka I have seen...comes in the lovely plastic jug with the handle)

I use that stuff for everything...blowoff tube/airlock "water"...quick rinse of spoon...cleaning cuts you name it

The idea is to float the fruit in the vodka for say a week then just use the vodka. I think its called an infussion or something like it.
I usually do it in mason jars...cause that's what mason jars are for (until you start distilling...but that's not legal )

Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #115
Streeter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeter View Post
Seems this is an old thread and many people posted to it but not many provided results near the end.

I can't help much with the cherry wheat because it is still in the secondary but I will share what I did and try to get back here to post results.

I got about 3# of fresh cherries they said Reinier and they tasted sweet to me, not sour or tangy. Here are my notes-

8/18/12 Hugh Hefner Weizen (Cherry)
OG-1.054
1.012 gravity on 8/29/12 @65degrees. Racked to secondary with cherries after 11 days in primary - Bubbling had slowed to over a minute before racking

7.2lbs Wheat LME
8oz. Flaked Wheat, 8oz Flaked Oats
White Labs 320 American Hefeweisen Yeast

Added 3lbs of Rainier Cherries (sweet) $3/lb sale @Meijer. Soaked in pan with 1/2gal or more water with two crushed campden tablets in warm water for 3 hours. the cherries started splitting. Dried them in strainer, put in gallon ziplock and smashed with fingers. Froze in freezer for 24 hours. Racked to secondary BUCKET for space since cherries went to over 6 gallons ~ 6.25. Liquid beer was at 5.5 gallons before cherries added so account for the space (couldn't fit in carboy).

9/5/12 Now it is 7 days in secondary and still no bubbling that I notice from airlock. Many people said the fruit added much sugar and kicked in more fermentation. I think either the campden tabs ended it or it was just so far done when I racked to secondary that the suspended yeast didn't kick in for more. I have read stories of airlocks or lids blowing off after fruit, but not for me. When I added honey to my last batch in secondary it started re-fermenting for another 3 weeks!
9/8/12- I checked gravity again and final is 1.010 so it did go down slightly even without noticeable bubbling. I bottled and got 54 bottles. It had a nice red tint to the beer and not a strong cherry flavor. It tasted somewhat sweet and not bitter or sour. I did add about an once of the LD Carlson Cherry extract flavoring (http://www.ldcarlson.com/images/3520.JPG) to it to make it a little stronger. I have heard the fruit flavors can dissipate over time and to generally bottle with them stronger.

I'll report back with taste in a few weeks. Overall it is impossible to tell if the Campden tablet method I used to sanitize the fruit was necessary since I added the fruit to already fermented beer that possibly could kill off any bacteria or yeast. This method worked well for me, but it may not have allowed the fruit to ferment more, which is a good thing or bad thing. In that regard, I'm not sure it would have fermented any more without the campden since it was basically done. Unless there was two control batches, no way to tell.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:05 PM   #116
normalstin
Recipes 

Default Sour Cherry Pepper Wheat

I know this thread is pretty old, but it was interesting to read through. Anyway, this is my first time posting...glad to be a member.

I'm brewing up one of my most experimental brews yet, using a wheat base, sour cherries, and a few ghost peppers. I'm thinking the heat will complement the tart, fruity flavor nicely.

Cheers!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:28 AM   #117
35se
Recipes 

So tried one of my cherry wheats today after bottling for a week... Tasted good. But not like cherry at all?

Primary- Blue Loon
Secondary-

Old 10-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #118
Streeter
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streeter View Post
9/8/12- I checked gravity again and final is 1.010 so it did go down slightly even without noticeable bubbling. I bottled and got 54 bottles. It had a nice red tint to the beer and not a strong cherry flavor. It tasted somewhat sweet and not bitter or sour. I did add about an once of the LD Carlson Cherry extract flavoring (http://www.ldcarlson.com/images/3520.JPG) to it to make it a little stronger. I have heard the fruit flavors can dissipate over time and to generally bottle with them stronger.

I'll report back with taste in a few weeks. Overall it is impossible to tell if the Campden tablet method I used to sanitize the fruit was necessary since I added the fruit to already fermented beer that possibly could kill off any bacteria or yeast. This method worked well for me, but it may not have allowed the fruit to ferment more, which is a good thing or bad thing. In that regard, I'm not sure it would have fermented any more without the campden since it was basically done. Unless there was two control batches, no way to tell.
Well it has been in bottles about a month and I have about 15 bottles left of the 54. It is a good tasting German hefeweizen but unfortunately I can't really taste the cherries and the head retention was poor. It foams about the size of one finger and quickly dissipates. It has a slight pink hue to it and I really wish I had added some flavoring to it. To be honest, if I do this one again I probably won't mess with the cherries and will do flavoring as I did with my strawberry and raspberry with good results. I think more cherries are needed with a supplement of flavoring or just flavoring. Now I can't wait for my pumpkin beer to be done!
Cheers!

Old 10-18-2012, 05:13 AM   #119
35se
Recipes 

Yeah tried another today. Tastes nothing like cherry. Still good beer tho.

Used 5lbs of cherries.

Primary- Blue Loon
Secondary-

Old 10-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #120
normalstin
Recipes 

I just racked mine to a tertiary. It's bright pink, almost wine-looking. Used 10 lbs of cherries. Tastes pretty good so far.

Quick Reply