New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:55 PM   #101
kevy_kev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Steep:
1/4 LB Melanoiden
1/3 LB 40L Crystal

Add:
6 LBs Muntons Extra Lite DME
3/4 oz Hersbrucker Hops
Boil 55 minutes

Add:
1 oz hersbrucker hops
Boil 5 minutes

cool in ice bath:

yeast: safale 56

1 week in primary
2 weeks in secondary, with 8lbs of strawberries added.
2 weeks in tertiary.
about a month in bottles.

had some more on Friday night and I think it is growing on me. If I do it again I would use maybe 6lbs of strawberries and more hops.

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2006, 09:23 PM   #102
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Update - I just bottled the most recent batch or Raspberry Ale. I had hoped (and brewed to) the use of black raspberries, but I could not find any and had to use red. It tastes very good - pretty unbelievable actually (I had a half a glass, the last out of the bottling bucket). Most of the time, the flat beer at the end is..., well, it takes a special person to really appreciate it. This was just plain good. The color was interesting. Since I made the basic brew so pale, the final product is a light salmon pink. It is going to be an odd batch for sure (I still haven't gotten over the purply, pink-headed blueberry ale, which is down to my last three bottles now).

Old 05-24-2006, 06:23 PM   #103
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Another update: Strawberry Tart

I started with a sour mash of about 20% of my grain. Pale Ale. 15 days in a teriary made it very clear, pinkish color. But 7# of strawberries on top of the sour mash is tart. Yesterday I poured it over ice, like a soda. Works good for thirst quenching in the heat while I restore my '53 Power Wagon. But it does have a bit of a plastic taste to it- even without the ice from an ancient batch in the freezer's open ice cube tray. Not contaminations since it's the same gear I've always used, I guess there is a reason that Hops and Strawberries are not often mixed?

Glad I tried it. Next batch of fruit beer will be ...cantalope? balckberry?

So far, I've had more experience thinking than I've had brewing....you don't think they are mutually exclusive, do you?

57 batches so far,
33 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
22 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 05-24-2006, 07:42 PM   #104
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casebrew
Another update: Strawberry Tart

I started with a sour mash of about 20% of my grain. Pale Ale. 15 days in a teriary made it very clear, pinkish color. But 7# of strawberries on top of the sour mash is tart. Yesterday I poured it over ice, like a soda. Works good for thirst quenching in the heat while I restore my '53 Power Wagon. But it does have a bit of a plastic taste to it- even without the ice from an ancient batch in the freezer's open ice cube tray. Not contaminations since it's the same gear I've always used, I guess there is a reason that Hops and Strawberries are not often mixed?

Glad I tried it. Next batch of fruit beer will be ...cantalope? balckberry?
i used 7lbs of strawberries in my SPA and it's fairly tart also....and i didn't use a sour mash so i can only imagine how tart yours must be.

Old 06-14-2006, 04:22 PM   #105
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Bump - keeping this in play because fruit beer questions come up all the time.

Old 06-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #106
KopyKat

Recipes 

I was planning on using extracts for my fruit beer and bought a few flavors from my LHBS. I have a 10 ML titration setup and a calculation for the amount for 12 ounce. I tried each of the following by adding 2.2 ML to 12 ounces of a light lawnmower beer I have on hand.

Peach - Tasted peachlike but more artificial than the real thing.
Black Current - Tasted peachlike - I don't think whoever extracted this knew what a Black Current was and used peach in its place.
Black Cherry - Tasted like Luden's Black Cherry cough drops - Yuch!
Raspberry - This wasn't too bad. No aroma but a tangy flavor. Couldn't say it tasted really raspberry though.

Someone early in this thread said he use an extract in his keg and fruit was bottled. I would like to know where he got his extract - I must be better than what I got.

I am now considering using canned sour pie cherries. I love the taste of sour cherries and the can state that it has only cherries and water.
Anyone ever tried this?

I am also considering using Oregon Puree for raspberries unless I can find a source for extract which taste like the real thing.

Primary: Belgian Blonde (for cask)
Drinking: Robust Porter
Up Next: Christmas Ale, SNPA, Simcoe IPA

AustinZealots.com
Home of the Austin Zealot's Inquisition

Old 01-03-2009, 05:16 PM   #107
GOSIRR
Recipes 

Default Bannana Beer?

Has anyone tried a bannana beer yet? I am going to try one this week, and have not decided if I'm adding them to primary or secondary, or how much to add. I was also thinking of adding the entire bannana -peel and all after puting it thru the blender. Any input is welcome.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #108
extremejm
Recipes 

Default Pineapple Beer

I'm brewing a mild wheat beer and, due to some questions from a neighbors kid, am adding Pineapple to the secondary. Has anyone tried this before?

How much Pineapple would you add (I was going to go with 2#/gal).

How would you account for the amount of water in the pineapples?

Finally, I was thinking of adding something like Potassium Sorbate to the Pineapple in the secondary a day before or so to keep the yeast from fermenting all the pineapple and dropping the flavor.

Ideas? Suggestions? Laughs?

Jim

Old 03-08-2011, 01:06 AM   #109
Gordzilla
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thinking about adding some fresh mangos to my double ipa, My plan was to get 10-15fresh mangos from the grocery store peel them, de-pit them and cut into chunks. Put all cut pieces into a pan bring water to 160 for 15min to sterilize the fruit before adding it to my secondary fermenter (gonna put fruit in grain bag to prevent chunks from being everywhere) then rack my IPA onto the fruit for its last week of fermentation, i was also gonna add some gelatin filings during the last 3days of fermentation before bottling to help clear the beer up.

The ipa has been in the primary for 16days now, plan on racking with fresh mangos and letting it sit for another 7days

Old 06-21-2012, 02:46 PM   #110
Fatkeg
Recipes 

Default My Strategy

I have a couple pounds of fresh picked raspberries that are frozen that I plan to add to a wheat brew. My plan is to get some really cold water, add some sanitizer, and dump the frozen raspberries to the mix and let them sit for about 5 minutes. I want the raspberries to stay intact when I add them to the secondary and I don't want to heat them and break them down. I plan on starting this brew in a week when I free up some fermenter space and let everyone know if it works.

Kegged: Belgian Blonde; Madagascar Vanilla Bean Imperial Stout; Plain Old Wheat

Last edited by Fatkeg; 06-21-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quick Reply