Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2006, 12:26 AM   #91
kevy_kev
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

haha, well at least they were all of age you didnt come home to the aftermat of an underage house party!!!

I bottled mine this afternoon and must say it was clearer than I thought it was going to be. I didnt have a chance to get a clear bottle to check on clarity so I am going to have to test them now and then. I should have almost the entire month of April to clarify and condition in the bottle since I will be out of town. I had a glass of what was left at the bottom of the bottling bucket and it was delicious!

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:
Keg #1: Celebration IPA
Keg #2: Oyster Stout
Keg #3: Apricot Ale

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2006, 12:18 AM   #92
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

OK - so we tasted last night. My four test bottles, and four people - my wife and I, and my son and older daughter (the younger is away at school - and under age).

It was good. It did not leave me roaring for more, but it is only a month old and only been in a bottle a week and I know how to make it better next time (and it is good enough that there will be a next time - this is my second fruit beer). It is lightly hopped and pale (but read on) and there is just a light taste of the blueberries. It is very clear, though it picked up a bit of chill haze. As planned, we drank from these 14 ounce pilseners so we could really see the color and smell the beer. This was the best part - the color. It is a dark salmon color and the head is PINK!! It is just the dardnest thing. I never imagined that I would live long enough to see a beer with a pink head!

Head retention is only fair at this point, but that will improve, I expect.

So as promised, here is the recipe, and in parentheses, my suggestion for making it a notch better:

1.5 kg (3.3 lbs - one can) of Cooper's Light LME.

I lb Munton's Extra Light DME

1 lb rice solids (I forget the brand - it doesn't much matter in my opinion).

An hour boil.

.5 lb of 10 lovibond steeping grain, out before the boil.

2 oz Cascade Alpha 6%, half at the start of the boil and half with ten minutes left.

A teaspoon of Irish moss at 45 minutes.

Nottingham dry yeast.

In the primary for a week.

Rack to the secondary and add in 36 oz of frozen blueberries heated in spring water for fifteen minutes, just to the point of a boil. (And this is what I would change - I would do this during blueberry season, when they are not so incredibly expensive, and I would use at least three or four lbs of fresh blueberries).

One week in the secondary, then rack to the tertiary, discarding the trub and the floating blueberry debris. I threw in about a half cup of dextrose, just because I had some extra on hand.

One week in the tertiary and bottle. The yield was only forty four 12 oz bottles, four of which are already gone!

I would like to put this away and let it age - maybe one case of it will get stashed, because while I thought it was just "good" at this point, my wife and kids were wild over it. I would really like to see how this stuff ages, because I think by the time it is a month or two in the bottle, it will be off the charts.

Definitely making more blueberry beer.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:43 AM   #93
Cam Vi
Recipes 

Default Hello! Please help men about fruit beer!

My name's Vi. Now I'm a student in the University of Technology in VietNam. My' address mail is nguyenthicamvi@gmail.com. I am a new member of this forum. I'm interested in fruit beer very much so I hope to receiving and sharing information about fruit beer from other members.
Now I'm making a dissertation about fruit beer. But there are not any document about fruit beer in Viet Nam. If you have book, journals, any document or web about fruit beer, Could you assist me in doing my dissertation? Thanks a lot!
Cam Vi

Old 04-28-2006, 02:57 PM   #94
bazeballdadx
Recipes 

Can't help you with your dissertation (technology degree... writing about beer?)... but so long as this thread's brought back up, I'll ask:

I made a cherry wheat a while ago. 6 lbs. of cherries left 3 weeks in the 2ndary, moved 2 weeks to another 2ndary to clear.

Tried a sample 2-3 weeks after carbonation. Although there was a bit of "dark cherry" aroma, the flavor was that of a... Belgian-ish Wheat? No cherry flavor at all, really. It tasted good, but the whole cherry process seemed like a waste.

6 lbs. was a LOT of cherries, I'm not sure if I would be able to add much more than that... does anyone know how to accent these flavors? Less alcohol content? Longer aging?

Old 04-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #95
kevy_kev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

well since this thread is alive again I guess I will update my beer info.

I was away for the last 3 weeks so the beer had plenty of time to bottle condition. I am sorry to admit that I am not too proud of this beer. I think I used too many strawberries. The gallon of beer without the strawberries is delicious, but the 4 gallons with strawberries added is not so good. It has a very weird after taste that I am thinking is an overpowering strawberry flavor. You never really get a beer taste. And this is shocking for me to write because I LOVE strawberries! Now dont get me wrong, it is drinkable. No way I am dumping it, just not as good as I had hoped, especially after tasting the beer without the strawberries.

as far as the disertation goes, I never really found anything on fruit beers in print, just used what was found on this website and help from my local homebrew store.

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:

Gone: Pumpkin Porter, Founders Breakfast Stout Clone, Lemon Lime Hefe, Kiwi Express IPA, Holiday Red, OktoberFast, Rose Hip Honey Ale, Saison, Hot Chocolate Porter, Blonde, Mad Elf Clone, Raison D'Etre Clone, American Light, Oatmeal Stout, American Cream Ale, Doggy Bag (Leftover ingredients brew - California Common).......

Old 04-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #96
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevy_kev
well since this thread is alive again I guess I will update my beer info.

I was away for the last 3 weeks so the beer had plenty of time to bottle condition. I am sorry to admit that I am not too proud of this beer. I think I used too many strawberries. The gallon of beer without the strawberries is delicious, but the 4 gallons with strawberries added is not so good. It has a very weird after taste that I am thinking is an overpowering strawberry flavor. You never really get a beer taste. And this is shocking for me to write because I LOVE strawberries! Now dont get me wrong, it is drinkable. No way I am dumping it, just not as good as I had hoped, especially after tasting the beer without the strawberries.

as far as the disertation goes, I never really found anything on fruit beers in print, just used what was found on this website and help from my local homebrew store.
how many pounds of strawberries did you add? fresh, frozen, puree?
i used 7# for mine and it's still in tertiary... FWIW, i tasted it when i racked to tertiary and it didn't taste overpowering or "not so good" at all... i'll probably bottle next week, so i'll get another taste then.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:28 PM   #97
kevy_kev
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used 8lbs of frozen that i mixed with some water and heated up on the stove for a few minutes. It was really good before I bottled.
I put some more in the fridge before I left for work this morning to get a better taste this weekend. Flyers are on tonight so I will enjoy a few while watching the game :-)

Again it is not undrinkable, just not what I was expecting. It has more strawberry flavor and less of a beer flavor. Was hoping for a good balance of the two.

Primary #1:
Secondary #1:
Stout Conical #1:

Old 04-28-2006, 04:58 PM   #98
Lou
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevy_kev
I used 8lbs of frozen that i mixed with some water and heated up on the stove for a few minutes. It was really good before I bottled.
I put some more in the fridge before I left for work this morning to get a better taste this weekend. Flyers are on tonight so I will enjoy a few while watching the game :-)

Again it is not undrinkable, just not what I was expecting. It has more strawberry flavor and less of a beer flavor. Was hoping for a good balance of the two.
what was your recipe?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 PM   #99
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

My blueberry peaked early. It is still delicious but the blueberry flavor is much less pronounced. John at BYOB (my local HBS) advised me, when I brought some in for a tasting last weekend, that fruit beers will lose their fruit flavors pretty quickly. That's pretty much OK - it went real fast. I have only a dozen bottles left.

I have a black raspberry ale going into the secondary this weekend - probably tomorrow (Saturday) using a similar recipe as above, except more water (5.5 gallons more or less), an extra pound of DME and two pounds of rice. Oh, and no steeping grains. I will use probably about five pounds of black raspberries.

I know of no source for dissertation-level information on fruit beers, although this thread is a pretty good source of reference matetial.

Old 04-29-2006, 05:01 PM   #100
LSS
Recipes 

Hi,
Beside SteveM successful recipe,pls share and post your other recipes with the explanation of colour and taste so that we can share and brew some great fruit beer.

Quick Reply