The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2006, 01:58 AM   #1
32indian
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Adding fruit to secondary, how to sanitize the fruit?

If someone were to add fruit to secondary fermentation to add fruit flavor and aroma to a brew, how would you sanitize the fruit? do you need to sanitize the fruit? what if you used frozen pasturized fruit?

Beer in question is a generic "Wheat Beer", fruit I'm planning to use is "Rasberry"

I'm thinking 5 pounds of pastuerized frozen berries to 5 gallon batch added to the secondary fermentor.

Or, would I be better off "crushing" the 5 pounds of rasberries and adding just the juice to the secondary fermentor?

-Tom

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2006, 02:55 AM   #2
Dude
Will work for beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32indian
If someone were to add fruit to secondary fermentation to add fruit flavor and aroma to a brew, how would you sanitize the fruit? do you need to sanitize the fruit? what if you used frozen pasturized fruit?

Beer in question is a generic "Wheat Beer", fruit I'm planning to use is "Rasberry"

I'm thinking 5 pounds of pastuerized frozen berries to 5 gallon batch added to the secondary fermentor.

Or, would I be better off "crushing" the 5 pounds of rasberries and adding just the juice to the secondary fermentor?

-Tom
Sometimes people do a quick blanching of the fruit, others don't worry about doing anything. Just add the fruit to secondary. The alcohol content of the beer inhibits nasties from infecting it.
Up Next: Smoked Porter -- Pub Ale -- Watermelon Wheat
Planning:
Gone But Not Forgotten:

www.IronOrrBrewery.com

Old 01-18-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 124 Posts

I have found that with blackberries, freezing them, then thawing them in a pan & heating to 160F for 15 minutes totally destroys the berries' structure for maximum juice release. This also pasturizes them.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
DeRoux's Broux

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
I have found that with blackberries, freezing them, then thawing them in a pan & heating to 160F for 15 minutes totally destroys the berries' structure for maximum juice release. This also pasturizes them.
good idea. never heard of it done that way before.....

Cheers!
DeRoux's Broux

Old 01-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #5
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

I soaked my persimmons in bourbon over night. Can't taste the persimmons. but the bourbon is nice.

People Like This 
Old 01-18-2006, 11:00 PM   #6
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts

If you cook the fruit ie. boil it, etc. you can add a little bit of pectic enzyme to prevent haze from the pectins.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Old 01-19-2006, 12:34 AM   #7
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

As soon as some fresh fruit comes into season, leanig towards peaches, I am going to make a fruit weizen. I plan on making a course puree to add to the secondary and using campden tablets to sanitize the must prior to racking. After secondary fermentation, filter with a 20 micron filter. I am currently debating using a traditional weizen yeast or a neutral ale yeast. I know there are mixed opinions using sulfites in beer but I liked to see if there is any difference not cooking the fruit to sanitize.

Old 01-19-2006, 01:45 AM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish
I soaked my persimmons in bourbon over night. Can't taste the persimmons. but the bourbon is nice.
Some people will eat anything bourbon flavored just to say they ate healthy.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:26 AM   #9
32indian
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So it sounds as if using frozen fruit, thawing it, heating to 160 deg. F. in small amount of water, holding at that temp. for 15 minutes, then putting it in a grain bag or large hop bag, and squeezzing all the juice out and putting that juice in the secondary to ferment out with the beer would add the fruit flavor and aroma I so much seek?
Seems to me that using just the juice would prevent racking problems if using whole fruit (pulp, seeds, ect..., in pick-up tube).
Or is it better to just dump the "sanitized" fruit into the secondary and rack the beer from the primary fermentor on top of it?

BTW: this beer is for the "ladies", I call it........"Liquid Panty Remover"

Simple, Clean, and fruity tasting, with no hoppy aftertaste!

Old 01-19-2006, 03:32 AM   #10
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

Quote:
Seems to me that using just the juice would prevent racking problems if using whole fruit (pulp, seeds, ect..., in pick-up tube).
Or is it better to just dump the "sanitized" fruit into the secondary and rack the beer from the primary fermentor on top of it?
With my Blueberry wheat I used dried blueberries, rehydrated them in 160f water for about an hour then pitched then straight into the secondary. I racked it to a 3rd fermenter just to let some of the "chunks" settle out and didnt have a single problem in the entire process. In fact i checked the beer tonight and as soon as I get done with some stuff around here that I cant avoid I'm gonna be bottling it.

Remember when you add the juice or fruit you will get another ferment with noticable airlock activity. I didnt get a second krausen but with the airlock activity it wouldnt have shocked me if I did.

Quick Reply