The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fruit to secondary.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #1
ronjer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding fruit to secondary.

I've got an AG batch of Ed Wort's pale ale in the secondary and it has been there for 2 weeks and progressing nicely, however I am considering adding fruit to it and going another 2 weeks before racking and bottling. Is this a good idea at this point or have I missed the window?
Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2008, 02:43 AM   #2
avidhomebrewer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts

i've made a few fruit beers and with all but one batch, added the fruit to the secondary. the first one was in the boil, to kill whatever may have been on the fresh, macerated fruit. anyways, adding fruit to the secondary is probably a better idea (short of the sanitation argument) because you will retain more of the fruit aromas/flavors then adding it to the primary, due to the vigorous fermentation. the majority of my fruit beers have the fruit added at secondary with no ill-effects.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:36 PM   #3
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

If you add it to the secondary (which you can probably still do with no issues), you should consider a third stage to let things clear and settle. Check my Raspberry Ale recipe for a discussion on this.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
ronjer
Recipes 

Default Thanks for the advice...

I think I'll make the fruit slurry and heat it up to 160f and let it cool, add it to carboy and go another week or two, then rack over for the above mentioned third stage. I think it'll come out good. Hope so anyway....
Thanks for the replies, and happy brewing!

Old 05-04-2008, 04:04 PM   #5
ronjer
Recipes 

Default SteveM...

I just read your recipe and actually read it before and it is where I got the inspiration to add the fruit to this batch! (as you can probably tell from my last post) Thanks!!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 PM   #6
SteveM
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjer View Post
I just read your recipe and actually read it before and it is where I got the inspiration to add the fruit to this batch! (as you can probably tell from my last post) Thanks!!

Good luck with it!

Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Add frozen, bagged fruit directly to the secondary. Then incorporate a tertiary to clear everything up. Using frozen, then thawed fruit will help to retain "freshness" and as much fruit character as possible. Just thaw and dump into the secondary. The condition of the beer by the secondary phase should work well to keep any baddies from growing.

That way you don't have to deal with a fruit slurry hazing up everything, and racking/separating to the tertiary will go a lot better.

Quick Reply