Adding fermentable adjucts post boil - Primary or Secondary better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zymurnaut

Reaction score
Hey all,

Got a question about adding a fermentable adjunct. My goal is to have a drinkable, kegged, and carbonated stout ready by St. Paddy's. I missed my original gravity (first AG attempt), and would like to boost it with a dark-flavored adjunct like molasses or treacle, and possibly some dark DME.

My beer has been in primary for exactly a week now, and bubbles are well over a minute (not actually timed).

Would it be OK to add the pasteurized adjunct mixture directly to the primary fermenter, wait another week and then rack to secondary? Or should I rack to secondary now, and add the mixture?

Keep in mind the time limit. Will it be drinkable by March 17th with the additional adjuncts? Will adding it to the primary with the yeast cake newly formed help to condition the beer faster, or would it be OK to add it to the secondary?

For max flavor I would add it at high Krausen, IMO If you want your beer to be more readily conditioned dont add the sugars, even if your og was low you will still have a fine beer, completely fermented and ready for kegging in plenty of time. (3-4 weeks primary+ 1-2 weeks carb up time)

Back