Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding fermentable adjucts post boil - Primary or Secondary better?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
zymurnaut
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding fermentable adjucts post boil - Primary or Secondary better?

Hey all,

Got a question about adding a fermentable adjunct. My goal is to have a drinkable, kegged, and carbonated stout ready by St. Paddy's. I missed my original gravity (first AG attempt), and would like to boost it with a dark-flavored adjunct like molasses or treacle, and possibly some dark DME.

My beer has been in primary for exactly a week now, and bubbles are well over a minute (not actually timed).

Would it be OK to add the pasteurized adjunct mixture directly to the primary fermenter, wait another week and then rack to secondary? Or should I rack to secondary now, and add the mixture?

Keep in mind the time limit. Will it be drinkable by March 17th with the additional adjuncts? Will adding it to the primary with the yeast cake newly formed help to condition the beer faster, or would it be OK to add it to the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Blackgaurd_Brewing
Recipes 

For max flavor I would add it at high Krausen, IMO If you want your beer to be more readily conditioned dont add the sugars, even if your og was low you will still have a fine beer, completely fermented and ready for kegging in plenty of time. (3-4 weeks primary+ 1-2 weeks carb up time)

Old 02-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #3
zymurnaut
Recipes 

So, either way, you'd skip the secondary altogether?

Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #4
Blackgaurd_Brewing
Recipes 

I never secondary, just 3+ week primary, then keg or bottle for BIG beers

Quick Reply