Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding DME at secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
zplug123
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Adding DME at secondary

I've just moved my all-grain Dead Guy Ale clone into secondary in a glass carboy, but the O.G was too low initially. Therefore, I boiled and cooled two pounds of Muntons Light DME, added it to secondary first, then siphoned the beer over. So far there hasn't been much activity (was done around 7PM on Oct. 6).

Usually, how long does it take for fermentation activity to show up in secondary? I know the usual rule is 18 hours for primary, but does it apply here as well? Also, will the DME alter the flavor significantly? I made sure the DME didn't caramelize, but hopefully two pounds added to a five gallon batch will ensure full attenuation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

You racked it off the yeast, so the fermentation will be really slow. If you think about it, a typical carbonation time for bottles is two weeks and that is with only 4-5 ounces of corn sugar.

I don't think the flavor will change.

I'd re-pitch. Any dry yeast would do.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
zplug123
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well dang, I used the Wyeast Pacman smack pack, if I repitch then I'm thinking of using another of the same yeast, though any recommendations for an alternative are welcome.

I'm planning on having this sit for at least three weeks, so even if I don't repitch will it still fully attenuate by that time?

Quick Reply