Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > adding dark grains at vorlauf

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #31
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
When I make stouts, I don't add dark grains to the mash at all. Instead, I steep them in the wort after I combine all the runnings in the BK. Makes a much smoother tasting beer. I imagine you would get similar results adding them to the mash right before lauter, in fact I've been meaning to try it that way, would cut some time off brewday. The first stout I made I mashed everything and it came out with a very harsh bitterness. And if you're not getting the roastiness you want using this method, use more grain.
^^^ This is basically what Strong suggests for all grains that don't need conversion. He adds it during vorlauf because it's easier but he said steeping it seperately works great too. He also adds bittering hops as FWH's and doesn't add any others outside of the 20 minute mark. Instead of dry hopping he adds those hops during his whirlpool.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM   #32
bumstigedy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

He says FWH is roughly equal to a 65 minute addition in terms of IBU contribution. I assume this is for fly sparging. I'm not sure what the IBU contribution would be when batch sparging since It is so much quicker.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:49 PM   #33
steelersrbrun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So I ended up mashing the pale chocolate and brown and I added the carafa and dark chocolate to the mash at the end of the sac rest. The raw wort looked and tasted wonderful. I will be kegging it up next week....I'll post an update.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #34
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Wasn't there also some talk of steeping the dark grains in cold or room temperature water and just adding that to the boil?

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 06-15-2012, 02:31 AM   #35
Stauffbier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1003 Times on 617 Posts
Likes Given: 2673

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Wasn't there also some talk of steeping the dark grains in cold or room temperature water and just adding that to the boil?
I was discussing this in another thread as well. I'll be trying that soon!

Old 06-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #36
steelersrbrun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauffbier

I was discussing this in another thread as well. I'll be trying that soon!
I used that technique on a milk stout. It turned out great but it's a lot of extra work.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #37
befus
Mr. Infecto
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelersrbrun View Post
I used that technique on a milk stout. It turned out great but it's a lot of extra work.
Putting six-eight ounces of black patent in a quart ,or less, of water for 24 hours and straining it into your kettle?!?

Award winning:
Northern Brown Ale

"Guess I'll watch some TV, cuz it's nice to see people more messed up than me."

Primary:
Bottled: Wee Ain't Heavy (Wee Heavy);
Kegged: Brown Rhyno Old Ale (Rye Knot+ clone); Second Amendment Vanilla/Bourbon Porter; Pale Ale (a'la EdWort's Haus Pale);
On Deck: Northern Brown; Kolsch; Apricot wheat,

Old 06-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #38
steelersrbrun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus

Putting six-eight ounces of black patent in a quart ,or less, of water for 24 hours and straining it into your kettle?!?
I ground up the dark grains and steeped them overnight....the straining was what took time.....it had all these funky particles I didn't want in my brew so I had to strain and skim a few times....the liquid was added at 15 minutes left. The last mash addition requires no straining, skimming or having to wash all the crap you use in cold steeping. Try both and see what you prefer....that's why it's great to be a homebrewer.

Old 06-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #39
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 418 Times on 292 Posts
Likes Given: 309

Quote:
Originally Posted by befus View Post
Using such a small amount of water doesn't sound very effeicient to me in tems of extaction. Normally when we steep, we steep in the full boil volume and there's lots of water to disolve the sugars in. You're only going to get around 3/4 of a quart from your method after the grain absorbs it's share. I've been wanting to try the cold steeping method but I would prefer to use more water (which will throw off my mash and likely lower my efficiency since I'll be sparging less), so I haven't done it. Do those of you who cold steep use small amounts of water and get good results? Maybe I'm missing something.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

steelersrbrun Likes This 
Old 06-15-2012, 04:05 PM   #40
steelersrbrun
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBL_Brewer View Post
Using such a small amount of water doesn't sound very effeicient to me in tems of extaction. Normally when we steep, we steep in the full boil volume and there's lots of water to disolve the sugars in. You're only going to get around 3/4 of a quart from your method after the grain absorbs it's share. I've been wanting to try the cold steeping method but I would prefer to use more water (which will throw off my mash and likely lower my efficiency since I'll be sparging less), so I haven't done it. Do those of you who cold steep use small amounts of water and get good results? Maybe I'm missing something.
I would have to check back in Gordon's book for the water to grain ratio on the cold steep. It really wont have any impact on your overall process. There is no extraction or conversion going on just coloring. The method is used mainly just to reduce the bitterness you can extract from the dark grains.

Quick Reply