Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding chocolate to a chocolate stout

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #1
jdog2050
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Adding chocolate to a chocolate stout

Hey there,

I've got a soon to be chocolate stout that's wrapping up fermentation.

I've read a few threads where people talk about basically making "hot cocoa" and adding it to your secondary.

My thing is that I'm thinking about skipping secondary all-together and just adding a hot-cocoa/sugar mix to the bottling bucket and bottling right away.

My fear is that during secondary, a lot of the cocoa will fall out of suspension and make for a lot of uneven flavors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 AM   #2
willangus
Recipes 

I added 8oz of cocoa (make into a paste with water first) 10 minutes before the end of the boil. This resulted in a very nice level of chocolate taste, nice and balanced.

Up next: 'Ginger Nut' Ginger spiced Pale Ale

Old 04-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Lonek

Recipes 

How long has it been in your primary? Stout's are meant to be aged somewhat. I usually throw my Stouts in a secondary and let them disappear in the back of my closet for awhile.

Ready to drink: Scottish Shilling 60, Liverpool Pale Ale

Gallons brewed this year:
5 gallons Belgian Witbier
5 gallons Liverpool House Pale Ale
5 gallons Scottish Shilling 60

Old 04-18-2009, 04:54 AM   #4
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Cocoa makes a pile of trub like you wouldn't believe. Put the cocoa in the fermenter and let it sit there for a while unless you want a inch or so of sediment in your bottles.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
oswiu
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I added (artificial) chocolate extract to my stout at bottling time. The first few bottles were great and very chocolatey. Over time the taste has mellowed and now (after 7 weeks in the bottle) there's just a hint of chocolate flavour, but still quite a bit of aroma.

I wouldn't be surprised if natural chocolate extract gave a somewhat nicer and longer lasting flavour, but given that it's over ten times the price I think I'll be sticking with artificial for my next batch.

Drinking: Buff Face Imperial Stout, Cria (2.X% ABV hop bomb), Llama Doodle NZ hopped IPA
loetz Likes This 

Quick Reply