Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   General Techniques (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/)
-   -   Adding brown sugar to a brown ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/adding-brown-sugar-brown-ale-355969/)

Han_Solo 09-22-2012 03:33 AM

Adding brown sugar to a brown ale
 
I got a partial mash recipe from the local brew store and it calls for 1 lb of brown sugar, but they never indicated when to add it. Should I add it near the end of the boil? Or after the boil? Any ideas as to what would work best would be greatly appreciated!

lumpher 09-22-2012 03:35 AM

when i add it, it's at 15 minutes left in the boil. it can replace the molasses syrup called for in many beers (esp scottish) at .8/1, also

Han_Solo 09-22-2012 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumpher
when i add it, it's at 15 minutes left in the boil. it can replace the molasses syrup called for in many beers (esp scottish) at .8/1, also

Great thanks a lot! Should I worry about burning the sugar? I have an electric stove and am wondering if maybe I should dissolve it in some water first

lumpher 09-22-2012 03:44 AM

i either boil it in water first, or stir the wort as i'm dumping it in. both work

Han_Solo 09-22-2012 03:47 AM

Do you fin any difference between dark and light brown sugar? I have both here I'm just wondering if you find an difference between the two.

Han_Solo 09-22-2012 03:55 AM

And just so I can know for the future, why do you add at last 15 min of boil? Why not 10 or 5?

lumpher 09-22-2012 04:12 AM

dark makes it darker and a little sweeter, as it has more molasses. 15 minutes is just a good time for mixing it in completely and sterilizing

Han_Solo 09-22-2012 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumpher
dark makes it darker and a little sweeter, as it has more molasses. 15 minutes is just a good time for mixing it in completely and sterilizing

Cool thanks for the tips!

microbusbrewery 09-22-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lumpher
dark makes it darker and a little sweeter, as it has more molasses. 15 minutes is just a good time for mixing it in completely and sterilizing

Just to clarify,it's sanitary not sterile. I know that's kind of nitpicking but there is a difference. Definitely don't boil longer than 15 min because you could lose some volatile flavor and aroma compounds.

Denny 09-22-2012 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Han_Solo (Post 4434834)
Do you fin any difference between dark and light brown sugar? I have both here I'm just wondering if you find an difference between the two.

Neither will add any appreciable flavor.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:52 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.