New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding Brown Sugar after Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 05:29 PM   #1
mthompson1085
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Adding Brown Sugar after Fermentation

I am on my 3rd brew which is an English Ale. I have purchased a kit through the Local Homebrew Store. I am hoping that it will taste like an English Ale that a local brewery near me sells that I really enjoy. I was able to go onto their website and saw the brewers notes which indicated they added brown sugar in the recipe. The batch is already fermenting and I am planning to move to a secondary after the fermentation is complete so I can make room for another batch. Is there a process to add brown sugar (looking more for taste as it has a high OG). Could I boil some brown sugar and add it to the secondary before I rack it?

Also how long would you recommend an English Ale condition in the secondary before bottling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you can boil the sugar in like a cup of water and add it now during fermentation, or you could just use brown sugar instead of priming sugar to carbonate.

how soon do you need the fermenter for the 2nd batch? i'd just leave it in the primary 2-3 weeks (given proper pitching & temperature control) and move along. if you need the primary sooner than that, i'd just leave it in the secondary til its clear, so like a week or 2. how high of an OG are we talking about?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
mthompson1085
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. I am afraid if I put more brown sugar before carbing it will have a nasty taste. I thinK that I am going to try and use the brown sugar for carbing. Would I just boil that and mix it in my bottling bucket? How much would you recommend for a 5 gallon batch? I have always only used priming sugar in the past.

I was going to start another brew but I might hold off. The airlock looks like it is still active so I think I will give it aleast 2 weeks in the primary. The starting OG was 1.078 (high for me maybe not for others) and I just took a reading and it is sitting at 1.017. I have kept the temperature at 65 so I am hoping it will taste good. I appreciate your help and suggestions. I am really excited to try this but know I have to be patient witb this one.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #4
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

adding the brown sugar before carbing it definitely won't leave a nasty taste. don't expect much of a brown sugar flavor anyway, it's highly fermentable and doesn't leave much flavor behind, kinda lightly sweet rum note IME.

you can use this calculator to see how much brown sugar and various different sugars it takes to prime: http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/

out of curiosity, is 65F ambient or wort temp? if ambient, be aware the internal temp will be a few degrees warmer during active fermentation. in most ales its best to keep the wort temp <70, british strains get especially gross over this

Old 09-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 429 Times on 402 Posts
Likes Given: 199

brown sugar has some molasses in it and that's the flavor you'll get whether you add it to primary or bottle with it as the sugar part of it will simply ferment out. You'll get a bit more flavor if you carb with it but not really sure you'll notice the difference either way. If you carb with it though you won't get the bump in the ABV since it's so little amount.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 09-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
mthompson1085
Recipes 

Thanks for the info it is really helpful.

I have the wort at 65. It has been a challenge living in AZ that involves contstantly changing out ice packs in a tub of water where the fermentor sits. I am relitively new so I have not invested in a chamber yet.

Quick Reply