Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Adding body after fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
BoomerHarley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Adding body after fermentation

So I brewed up a pale ale and obviously had imbibed a little too much when I designed the recipe. I added way to much 2 row and not enough crystal or other body enhancing malt. FG was 1.006.

So now I have an incredibly bland and light bodied beer that is almost 7 percent. I guess it's my version of Bud Light Platinum. However, that is not what I want.

It's been kegged and carbed. Any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-08-2012, 12:52 AM   #2
bioguy
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Brew an excessively high bodied beer and then blend.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:05 AM   #3
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 56

It is my understanding (correct me if wrong) that body is related to mouth feel, which to a large degree is created by the mashing temperature. Sounds like you mashed quite low, made lots of fermentable sugars, and thus the low FG. Your beer is probably rather dry too, I bet.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #4
BoomerHarley
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tektonjp View Post
It is my understanding (correct me if wrong) that body is related to mouth feel, which to a large degree is created by the mashing temperature. Sounds like you mashed quite low, made lots of fermentable sugars, and thus the low FG. Your beer is probably rather dry too, I bet.
Yes that is correct. I mashed at 146 (I was shooting for 148). But the problem was also in the recipe, whereas I mistakenly converted a five g recipe into 10 g, but forgot to adjust the rest of the grain bill.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:34 AM   #5
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 81

I have added maltodextrine to some of my kegged beers that came out a bit thin. To start I dissolved 1/4-1/2 of a cup in 160 F water and then added this to the kegged beer with good results. Sometimes I would add a second amount if needed. I have also read about people using 3-4 oz of the dextrine to start if that is an easier amount to figure. I had to mix/shake the keg so I waited 2 days before sampling.

I also like the idea of brewing a higher bodied beer and then blend. I only mentioned the malto-dextrine because it is a quicker fix that i have used in the past in case you didn't want to take the timeor have the time to brew another beer.

Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

Quick Reply