Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Add honey to secodary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
jdhasse
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So I brewed yesterday and later realized I forgot to add the honey I had plan on adding.

Anyone ever add Honey to the secondary?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #2
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 120 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Is this a question, or are you just stating that you forgot it? Can't tell if you're looking for input or not.

Kegged:
Golden Nugget Saison; Roggenbier
Secondary:
SMASH Citra Barleywine; Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout; RIS w/ Saison Yeast
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:
Barrel Aged Wee Heavy; Imperial IPA

Old 09-30-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Boil a small amount of water and mix the honey in after you take it off the burner. Cool and add it to the primary. No need for a secondary.

Old 09-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
hillhousesawdustco
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I've had good results adding the honey at high krausen during primary.

Old 09-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #5
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhasse View Post
So I brewed yesterday and later realized I forgot to add the honey I had plan on adding.

Anyone ever add Honey to the secondary?
That makes more sense. You can add honey to the secondary if you want, but it all depends on what end result you desire. It sounds like the honey was supposed to be added before fermentation began. If that's the case, you can add it any time during fermentation and the yeast will still consume it. You'll actually have better results if you add it towards the end of fermentation, because honey is made of simple sugars that are easily consumed by the yeast. Let them take care of most of the more complex sugars that are in the wort, then give them the easy stuff, sort of like dessert.

If you add it to the secondary, after you've racked off of the yeast, there will be little to no fermentation of the honey. You'll get more honey flavor and sweetness this way, but it's very easy to overdo it. Since the recipe called for adding it prior to fermentation, I would wait another day to add it, and not wait until secondary.

Boil at least an equal volume of water (equal to the amount of honey you're adding) and take the water off the heat, then dissolve the honey into it, let it cool to the temp of your fermenter, and pitch.
Kegged:
Secondary:
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:

Old 10-01-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
dirtdigger
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post
Boil a small amount of water and mix the honey in after you take it off the burner. Cool and add it to the primary. No need for a secondary.
I had a honey wheat last year, that didn't have much if any honey flavor after fermenting. I did this little procedure and added to the keg, gave it a few inverted shakes, once the lid was on, just to mix it. This gave the honey flavor I was looking for.

Old 10-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #7
ObsidianJester
The God of Thunder
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That makes more sense. You can add honey to the secondary if you want, but it all depends on what end result you desire. It sounds like the honey was supposed to be added before fermentation began. If that's the case, you can add it any time during fermentation and the yeast will still consume it. You'll actually have better results if you add it towards the end of fermentation, because honey is made of simple sugars that are easily consumed by the yeast. Let them take care of most of the more complex sugars that are in the wort, then give them the easy stuff, sort of like dessert.

This.

I made a very nice IPA with honey added on day two or three of primary fermentation. Honey is somewhat insulated from infection but instead of water I kept mine in the container and microwaved it till it was quite hot, then let it cool down to fermentation temp and poured it though the air lock hole with the help of a funnel. Is this the right way to add honey, I don't know but it worked well for me. It finished most of the fermentation and also gave me a nice honey flavor in to the IPA.

In fact I would add it again to the primary as the main fermentation ends and am planning on doing so.

Primary 1 XM2A3 Chocolate Oatmeal Stout
Primary 2 XM7 Cascade IPA/Pale ale
Primary 3
Secondary 1 Sweet Mead.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #8
peterj
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 161 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZymurgist View Post
If you add it to the secondary, after you've racked off of the yeast, there will be little to no fermentation of the honey. You'll get more honey flavor and sweetness this way, but it's very easy to overdo it. Since the recipe called for adding it prior to fermentation, I would wait another day to add it, and not wait until secondary.
I don't think this is true. If there is any yeast in the beer (which there will be or else bottle conditioning would not work) they are going to consume all of the sugar in the honey that you add. Adding the honey after the most vigorous part of fermentation would be a good idea though because it will keep more of the subtle aromatics of the honey from getting scrubbed out with all of the CO2 that will be off-gassing.

Old 10-01-2013, 05:44 PM   #9
TheZymurgist
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterj View Post
I don't think this is true. If there is any yeast in the beer (which there will be or else bottle conditioning would not work) they are going to consume all of the sugar in the honey that you add. Adding the honey after the most vigorous part of fermentation would be a good idea though because it will keep more of the subtle aromatics of the honey from getting scrubbed out with all of the CO2 that will be off-gassing.
You're right, there is some yeast left, but not nearly enough to consume the honey. There's no way that small amount of yeast could consume such a large amount of sugar. Sure, there's enough to create a small amount of CO2 for carbonation, but honey added to secondary will not ferment out.
Kegged:
Secondary:
Primary:
Lanier Porter
On Deck:

Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #10
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 83

i agree with peterj. if you add fermentables into any quantity of yeast they will eat it up otherwise starters wouldn't work, would they? it makes no sense that they would just give up fermenting because there are not enough of them, they just start reproducing.

Quick Reply