Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Add fruit to primary or rack beer on top of fruit in secondary

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
nate_ive
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Add fruit to primary or rack beer on top of fruit in secondary

I have been reading here that it is a "best practice" to leave the beer on the yeast in the primary for 1 month to let they yeast clean up and clear unless oak or fruit it being added. I'm making a NB Frambozen clone and want to add 2 cans of raspberries in heavy syrup(Oregon Fruit brand). It seems from the posts on HBT that adding fresh fruit should be done in a secondary fermenter. I have a buddy with a crazy expensive juicer, so I'm going to give him the cans to juice so can use the juice with heavy syrup. Can I just add juice/syrup to my primary once the krausen falls or is there an advantage to combining the juice/syrup with the beer in a secondary?

Thanks,
Nate

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
Sreidy12
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You're going to want to rack the beer off the yeast once fermentation is near completion and onto your fruit in the secondary. And don't worry about running the oregon fruit through the juicer, it's already pureed.

"Stay thirsty my friends"
-The Most Interesting Man in the World

Old 01-26-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
CaptKiRkLeS
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 to secondary. I've only done it once but it came out great.

Brew on!

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!

Old 01-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Sounds good, I will rack to the secondary this weekend. The Oregon Fruit raspberry is fruit in heavy syrup from the grocery store not the Oregon Fruit can of puree -- just want to make sure that doesn't make much of a difference.

Thanks,
Nate

Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #5
jessup
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

fwiw i've done it both ways and there's no problem whatsoever with adding the fruit to primary if it's a bucket. if it's a bucket then it's okay since you can minimize splashing and oxidation while adding the fruit. adding to a carboy causes mass O2 introduction by constantly splashing. that said, adding it to a bucket can save you time and beer. fruit in carboy = PITA

edit: duuhhhhh...i totally forgot you were referring to puree. just to go against the consensus i say just add it to the primary.

set I: Pale (3) -> Mild (4-5) -> amber / Victory (20-25) -> special roast (40-50) -> brown (70)
set II: pilsner (2) -> Vienna (3-4) -> Munich (8-10) -> dark Munich (20) -> aromatic / melanoiden (25-30)
encore: smoked (5)

Old 01-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
sabresfan44
Recipes 

I've used the purée in both the primary and secondary. Bad results from the primary. Off flavors were present each time. Great results in the secondary. Blends very well and no bad flavor.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have carboys, I will add the fruit to the secondary carboy and rack on top of that. Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: changed my mind at the last second and added to the primary. The Oregon Fruit raspberries in heavy syrup should be shaken while it is in the can to make the berries break up more so they can be easily added to the corboy with a funnel.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So the second krausen from the raspberries in syrup took off fast and was very strong. It is dying down now, but there is a lot of doink floating on top. I think I'm going to let sit in the primary for 3 more weeks then bottle. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
cactusgarrett
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

When adding to the primary, the fermentation (if still going) will scrub the fruity goodness (flavor & aroma) moreso than if added to the secondary. Two of the main reasons i advocate in the secondary is 1) for the reason above, and 2) you don't have to sanitize fresh fruit as well (if at all) when adding to the secondary due to the presence of alcohol already in the beer.

~~ Malted barley wants to become beer. ~~

Old 02-01-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
nate_ive
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I added the canned Oregon Fruit (raspberries in heavy syrup) to the primary after the first krausen was winding down. There was only an island of bubbles on top when I added the fruit in syrup. I think I should have had my buddy juice the canned fruit in syrup to get rid of the pulp. The pulp/berries is now floating on top. The second krausen appears to be completely done. I will find out how well it it work in about a month.

Quick Reply