Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > accidentally mashed at 125*

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default accidentally mashed at 125*

...though after realizing it (2 minutes in) I turned on the burner and stirred the thing for 15 minutes until I got to 158 and mashed there for the remainder.

I went to 158* to compensate, good or bad idea? I was aiming for 155* and wasn't paying attention to the temperature I had my instant hot water heater set to so used 140* water instead of 167* I wasn't even drinking too!

EDIT: You know, it's funny. I already did it, the beer is not going to change from now till the glass. I have no powers to turn back time. I guess that I ask the question so that I don't worry for the next two weeks, but in the end I will just have to wait to find out if it turned out good or not. Just talking....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A bit high and you'll get a lot more unfermentables at that temperture vs say about 152f

How do you BBQ an elephant....first you get your elephant....

Old 02-21-2009, 06:41 PM   #3
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1042 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 28

It's not that big of a deal since it only sat that way for 17 minutes. That's nothing at that temp because enzymes don't work quickly cold.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 02-21-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
hopsalot
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
I guess that I ask the question so that I don't worry for the next two weeks, but in the end I will just have to wait to find out if it turned out good or not. Just talking....
live and learn, relax

http://bjsbrewery.blogspot.com/

Old 02-22-2009, 02:13 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 137 Times on 130 Posts

The idea of compensating for a low start doesn't apply. A dough-in at 125F doesn't do much for modern malts, maybe cut the protein haze a bit. So, no problem there. Depending on how fast you heated the mash, you'll end up with a slightly higher final gravity and a maltier beer. A slow (~10 minutes) passage through the 140-150F range would have given the beta enzymes plenty of time.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply