Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > ABV too high - technique for "watering down" before kegging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #1
DaveMcPhee
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default ABV too high - technique for "watering down" before kegging?

I brewed an IPA recently and, of course noted the OG without much thinking. Today, during a routine gravity check, I noticed that my OG was 1.066 and my FG 1.012 (these are temp corrected values.)

It dawned on me that 7% ABV is way higher than what I intended for this recipe (I know, first world problems).

I'm looking for techniques / gotchas of watering down this beer before kegging, and for the maths I need to know to figure out how much water I need to add. Before I dump a bunch of boiled cooled water in, I wanted to make sure I wasn't about to ruin this batch.

I feel like a tool even asking about watering down beer, but this was brewed for (and paid for by) someone else and this is a mistake that needs fixin'

OG: 1.066
FG: 1.013
5.0 gallons in the bucket
target ABV: ~5.0%

My name is actually Alex I'm just really paranoid

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #2
Chadamus
Recipes 

What were you expecting your final gravity to be? I've brewed several IPAs that have had an ABV similar to that. I don't know if watering down your ABV would be smart though, I feel as you lowered the alcohol... You would also be lowering the flavor.. Essentially hurting what sounds like a well made beer?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #3
beerbeer95648
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Diluting post fermentation is not necessarily a bad thing. However, in general a beer brewed at an intended gravity versus one that is diluted post fermentation to the same gravity will be slightly different. Namely, the ester profile will be slightly higher and the head retention slightly reduced with a diluted beer versus a beer brewed to the initial target gravity. But, breweries do it all the time from Budweiser down to many small breweries trying to stretch fermentation space. Seems you would need just about 2 gallons of dilution water. But I would add less and check your final gravity. 2 gallon would bring your theoretical OG down to 1.047 and your true final gravity to 1.009. (Initial ABV X Fermented volume) / Desired ABV = total diluted volume.

If it makes you nervous, take a measured sample and dilute it with carbed water from the store to the intended gravity and taste it. Keep in mind some carbonated waters on the shelf may have a lower ph because of the carbonic acid.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Clayton
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 19

keg it and gass it up first and see if you like it ,if now you can still water it down, but you cant unwater it so... give it a shot thats really not that strong

Old 12-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #5
mooshimanx
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I personally would carb the beer and celebrate my awesome efficiency by drinking it at its brewed strength.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #6
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 197 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You don't want to throw your bittering off too much either; I agree with keg it, carb it, taste it, then decide.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Old 12-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

That sounds like a perfectly delicious IPA. I would drink it as is.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
DaveMcPhee
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeer95648 View Post
If it makes you nervous, take a measured sample and dilute it with carbed water from the store to the intended gravity and taste it. Keep in mind some carbonated waters on the shelf may have a lower ph because of the carbonic acid.
Genius.

Thanks for all the other responses too. I wanted to test the waters for this procedure, and it seems like to cons outweigh the pros. I'll have to report my failure to my financial backers and deal with the fall out.

My name is actually Alex I'm just really paranoid

Old 12-11-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You said you wanted to fix this because you brewed it for someone else. Will that person be upset about getting something stronger? Seems your friend really won out on this one. If you still insist on watering it down, try pulling off and bottling a six pack. Send the six pack to me and I'll send you a six pack of BMC that you can pour in. That should get it about right. Glad to help in the only way I can.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
GarageDweller
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 269

its only 5 gal. tell them to eat $hit, as you're giving them more bang for their buck. if not, keep it and give them their money back. what'd it cost $30?!

SMALL AXE BREWING
"If you are a big tree, we are a small axe, ready to cut you down."-Bob Marley

Quick Reply