New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Absorbing 5 gallons of beer with dry hops?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #11
JKoravos
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

1.) Get one ounce of hops
2.) Take a dry weight
3.) Soak it in beer
4.) Remove hops
5.) Drip dry
6.) Take a wet weight

Now you know how much beer is absorbed into one ounce of hops. Divide 5 gallons by that amount to know how much hops to buy. Buy an additional 10% just to make sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-21-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 3864 Times on 2824 Posts
Likes Given: 647

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerandloathinginaustin View Post
Actually I'm in the early stages of putting together a homebrewing tv show involving some solid techniques along with utterly ill advised things. Admittedly, I'm deep into the homebrew tonight and thought this up earlier while squeezing the beer out of 4oz worth of dry hops.

If I try it I'll start with a gallon and I'll just order something like Cascade in bulk to do it. Probably make it a barleywine or DIPA just to try to stand up to the hops. LMAO. Like that's even possible.
Your show will be about "how to ruin a beer by oxidation and waste $100 of hops in one batch!" Remember that squeezing/splashing will ruin the beer, due to oxidizing it. You could make a big French press and do it under co2, though, if you actually wanted a drinkable product when done.

beerandloathinginaustin Likes This 
Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Brew-Happy
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Your show will be about "how to ruin a beer by oxidation and waste $100 of hops in one batch!" Remember that squeezing/splashing will ruin the beer, due to oxidizing it. You could make a big French press and do it under co2, though, if you actually wanted a drinkable product when done.
Good point about the CO2 blanket.

You could experiment with CO2 vs O2 exposure to determine oxidation rates.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2003!!! Whoop!

Quote:
Now, Harry you must know all about Muggles, tell me, what exactly is the function of a rubber duck?
- Arthur Weasley

Old 07-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #14
beerandloathinginaustin
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 369

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I love the idea of a 5 gallon French press!
www.BJCPhero.com - Certified Cicerone and Lead Cellarman for Refuge Brewery. Trying to win an award in all 23 BJCP beer categories (7 down so far with 19 awards) & taking Brett excursions along the way.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:25 PM   #15
Seven
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 120 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Why not just use a Randall machine like this one? 10" Hop Randall

All of the hoppy goodness with none of the oxidation!

Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM   #16
permo
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I think a better experiment would be to see how many flameout/whirlpool hops it would take. This way the oxygen introduced would be consumed by the yeast during propogation.

IMO, I would do a IIPA in a big arse brewpot and add 3 pounds of whole hops at 3 minutes as the only addition. If the hops are hardcore like columbus, in a 10 gallon batch you would get around 100 IBU.....IMO, it would be a tasty experiment.

I recently did a 10 gallon batch with 16 oz of cascade at flameout and the whole hops consumed up about 1/3 the volume of the brew kettle after they expanded and absorbed wort. I used a sterilized colander and my mash paddle to "smash" the wort out of the hops and into the fermenter. I am anxiously awaiting this brew to finish up so I can taste the results.

It really isn't a waste of money , I buy my whole cone hops once a year from a place in Oregon (not hopsdirect) and if I order eneough, willamette, cascade and columbus come out at about $7 a pound.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
Bierliebhaber
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Another option, just do it like they drink Yerbe Mate in Argentina. They have ss straws with a paddle shaped filter on the end and they pour the crushed tea leaves into the cup surrounding the ss straw. Next, they pour hot water over the tea leave and drink the tea through the straw. For your experiment pulvirize/grind hops and fill a glass with a stainer straw in it. Pour your beer over the hops and start sucking! Makes me think that girl drinking beer from a staw, in a recent thread, was onto something.

Old 07-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
chemist308
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nearly sprayed my computer screen with coffee when I read the OP in this thread. Seriously there are folks who make hop tea, but this would likely be far worse than that. It's all about balance.

Yes you could drink a cup of maple syrup, but it's better on a stack of pancakes. Well, try a couple hop plugs with one bottle if you really want to know...

Primary Fermenter 1: Beer

Primary Fermenter 2: Empty

Secondary Fermenter: Empty

Bottled: ESB Stout

Drinking: Nothing

Old 07-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #19
Stevo2569
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-Happy
what you need to make is a 5gal version of one of these:

Wouldnt be that hard and in fact since you are pushing the limits on materials, you could build one out of acrylic pipe so you can see the pressing happening.

call a local metal shop and find out what the cost would be for a stainless steel mesh press. easy build and easy to clean.

I say try things to find out what happens. Hope its fun!
This looks pretty cool and I think I could make one pretty cheap too.

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace

My Brewing Apparatus

Old 07-24-2011, 03:35 PM   #20
hoppymonkey
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

+1 on doing this with a 1 gallon batch and whole hops. WOuldn't cost me much of nothing to pick them straight off the vine in a 1 gallon container and siphon beer straight on top of it. Need to drink fast afterwards

Quick Reply