Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > #7 stoppers are the DEVIL!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2006, 08:39 AM   #1
madjazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default #7 stoppers are the DEVIL!

I have had it with the peice of crap #7 stoppers popping out of my carboys!

I am going to the brewstore tomorrow to get either universal stoppers or carboy hoods. Anyone have insight into the advantages of these options?

Double Red

Enjoying
Barley Wine
Toffee Ale
American IPA (with a touch of black patent!!!)
Spiced Cyser
Blue Berry Melomel
Honey Tangerine Mesquite Melomel
Imeprial IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts

Carboy caps are the way to go. The stay on, they can't be pushed inside and they facilitate easy siphoning. Haven't use a stopper on a carboy since I've got them.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Old 11-04-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
chillHayze

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I use the universal stopper on the secondaries and the carboy cap widget on the primary better bottle. I do this b/c the cap is just a little too loose on the glass 5gal, evidenced by the airlock water level staying the same on both sides. The universal stoppers are nice b/c you can turn them upside down and use them on beer bottles for storing yeast.

Old 11-05-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
Carboy caps are the way to go. The stay on, they can't be pushed inside and they facilitate easy siphoning. Haven't use a stopper on a carboy since I've got them.
Yeah, except that some of them are too loose on my 6.5-gal primary carboys. I have two of them, both the same color, they look EXACTLY the same, but one is very, very difficult to get on (but gets a good seal), the other one slides on easily and doesn't hold a seal---spins in place on the lip. Plus, for some reason, it seems that the lips on some of my 5-gal secondary carboys are actually bigger in diameter than those on my 6.5-gal ones. All this makes for a frustrating time when using caps.

My favorite by far are the universal bungs that are molded plastic instead of the solid foam rubber. They can't be shoved into the carboy accidentally, and they never pop out of the neck.

And to the author of this thread, here's a tip to make sure that the bungs don't pop out: sanitize and dry off the bung and the inside of the carboy lip. If either surface is damp, it reduces the friction and is more likely to pop out.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-05-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
disaffected
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
And to the author of this thread, here's a tip to make sure that the bungs don't pop out: sanitize and dry off the bung and the inside of the carboy lip. If either surface is damp, it reduces the friction and is more likely to pop out.
Strange... I always make sure the stopper is wet before putting it in the mouth of the carboy so it is easier to insert and get a good, tight seal. I just dip it in iodophore solution before inserting it.

I don't know what a universal stopper is. My stoppers are not the solid rubber sort with a hole drilled through. They are shaped like an open cup with a central flexible core that rises up in the middle. The core is drilled for insertion of an airlock. Actually, the whole thing may be injection molded rather than drilled. They are more flexible than a solid rubber bung. I can't see how they could possibly pop out. After all, the gas escapes through the airlock, so they are not subjected to any appreciable pressure.

Old 11-05-2006, 09:25 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer4breakfast
Strange... I always make sure the stopper is wet before putting it in the mouth of the carboy so it is easier to insert and get a good, tight seal. I just dip it in iodophore solution before inserting it.

I don't know what a universal stopper is. My stoppers are not the solid rubber sort with a hole drilled through. They are shaped like an open cup with a central flexible core that rises up in the middle. The core is drilled for insertion of an airlock. Actually, the whole thing may be injection molded rather than drilled. They are more flexible than a solid rubber bung. I can't see how they could possibly pop out. After all, the gas escapes through the airlock, so they are not subjected to any appreciable pressure.
What you're describing is precisely what I was referring to when I said "universal stopper". Injection-molded, with an open-cup design. They don't pop out, and it's not a concern if they or the carboy mouth is wet. But when you're using solid drilled rubber-foam stoppers, moisture makes a difference, especially when the bung is on the larger side. The only way I can ever get those kinds of bungs to stay put is to dry them and the mouth off first.

Which, again, is why I like the universal bungs.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 11-06-2006, 04:11 AM   #7
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I use the universal stopper. The bucket I have using a small stopper though. The universal one is nice though as you won't push it through. The one carboy blow I had was with the carboy cap. Tossed it out and never used another one since so I can't realy say too much on them.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Old 11-16-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
grrtt78
Recipes 

yea i just got my first carboy with a number 7 stopper and it doesnt seem very tight. does it hav to be as tight for secondary fermentation?

Old 11-17-2006, 04:12 AM   #9
Kevin K

Recipes 

I use carboy caps, but have 6.5 bungs that fit perfectly in my carboys.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #10
Hopfan
Nice Beaver....
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I got carboy caps from my LHBS. They distribute the Better Bottles and the caps are 2 different colors. orange for the 5 gal and brown for the 6 gal. I know it's strange, but on the glass carboys, the 6.5 gal has the smaller cap size. I won't ever goback to the rubber stoppers. The caps make life so much easier.

Zip ties are the duct tape of the 21st century

Bad Dog Brewing
Sit...Stay

Quick Reply