New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 55 Gallon Bourbon Barrel Barleywine advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
dcHokie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakedawgs View Post
Looks great! It's a process for sure. I brewed 24 gallons over 2 weekends for me and a buddies share and another guy brewed 35 gallons over 2 weekends for his and a buddies share.

Something we did about 3 days before 'barrel fill day' was to have all the beer delivered to my garage, first week of February. Gave the beer time to cold crash in my cold garage. From tasting the barrel the next beer likely won't be going in for 4-6 more weeks, don't know how we are going to cold crash that one.
Thanks! We talked about doing the same thing, but decided to brew on premises at the barrel owner's house so that everything would ferment at the same basement temp, etc.

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
solbes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 115 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 33

That looks awesome! Wish I had more brew buddies close by that we could do the same thing. Keep us updated

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 06-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #13
tdogg
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcHokie View Post
Thanks again for the advice guys. Getting pretty excited for the brewday coming up this weekend, but lots of logistics to deal with. And some of the details just seem laughable...like the 4.5 Trillion cells of yeast we need to pitch
I hear ya. here is the yeast slurry (wyeast 1056, roughly 4 gallons from the local microbrewer) that we used for our 55 gallons of 1.120 OG barley wine. go big or go home!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:16 PM   #14
jglazer
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Wow thats a lot of yeast! How many billions ya think? What kind is it?

Old 06-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
dcHokie

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg View Post
I hear ya. here is the yeast slurry (wyeast 1056, roughly 4 gallons from the local microbrewer) that we used for our 55 gallons of 1.120 OG barley wine. go big or go home!
Wow, talk about going big, 4 gallons of pure slurry is a ton! That works out to something like 2.75 trillion cells per 5 gallons of wort...did you guys pitch it all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglazer View Post
Wow thats a lot of yeast! How many billions ya think?
Depending on viability, and my fuzzy math, 4 gallons of brewery-fresh slurry should be around 30 trillion cells

Aging: Anejo Rum Sour, BDSA, Flemish Gold, Sour Solera, Repas du Matin Sour Table Beer, Flanders Red, Sour Solera, Brett Brown, Sour blonde, Barleywine Barrel, "american wild" barrel
Bottled: Cherry Oud Bruin, Le Batard Solera, Sour Stout, Wild Ale, Brett Belgian Rye Stout, Berliner Weisse, FlandersPale, Brett Old Ale, Funky Fig Saison, Mango BGSA, Rapture RIS, Brett Saison

Old 06-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #16
tdogg
Recipes 

Yeah I don't remeber the exact math, but the slurry was fresh from a batch of 7% ipa, and we used about 20 oz of slurry per 5 gallon batch. Seems like a lot but it fermented clean.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #17
dcHokie

Recipes 

Quote:
Yeah I don't remeber the exact math, but the slurry was fresh from a batch of 7% ipa, and we used about 20 oz of slurry per 5 gallon batch. Seems like a lot but it fermented clean.
What type of barrel did you use for your barleywine, and how long are you guys planning to barrel-age?

Old 06-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #18
tdogg
Recipes 

The barrel was originally filled with Templeton Rye whiskey, . It will have spent about 6 months in the barrel by the time we get it out. We didnt originally plan on it being that long, but we have tasted it periodically and it's not too oaky.

Actually, we are planning an imperial stout brew to go into the barrel when we empty it. We may add some oak spirals next time.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
dcHokie

Recipes 

Quote:
The barrel was originally filled with Templeton Rye whiskey, . It will have spent about 6 months in the barrel by the time we get it out. We didnt originally plan on it being that long, but we have tasted it periodically and it's not too oaky.

Actually, we are planning an imperial stout brew to go into the barrel when we empty it. We may add some oak spirals next time.
We were planning another big beer for our second fill as well, but my brew partners just pulled a 5 month sample and our barrel picked up something sour/funky along the way. Apparently in a very pleasant, aged stock ale sort of way....I'm not at all disappointed We are targeting late fall/early winter to empty it and rack in a low ABV sour.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Are you sure it's a infection or just a sourness from the alcohol that was in the barrel?

Quick Reply