Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 50 Hour Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
BNVince
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default 50 Hour Fermentation

So I brewed a big stout Sunday. The OG came out to be 1.082 which was higher then it was suppose to be according to beersmith. I suspect that the DME I am using has more fermentable sugars in it than beersmith thought.

Anyway, I made a starter of WhiteLabs Irish Ale (WLP004) yeast with 2 pints of water and 1 cup of DME. I pitched it Sunday around 2p.m. At 9p.m. I had a lot of airlock activity and the next morning at 7a.m. the airlock was filled with krausen and beer. I cleaned it out and ended up having to clean it out again around 2p.m. Monday because it was filled once again with beer and krausen.

Finally today the airlock stopped freaking and almost completely stopped altogether tonight. I just took a hyrdometer reading and I got 1.021! This is insane to me. The whole batch has pretty much reached full attentuation in 50 hours.

Regardless, I'm going to let it sit in the primary until Sunday when I am able to rack it to my secondary for some good long clearing.

Is this type of rapid fermentation common?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
SenorWanderer
Beer Maniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sure! i just made a Sunshine Wheat clone on friday and left it while i was out of town all weekend. got back late last night and it had fermented so vigorously that there was a thick yeast sludge on the neck of the carboy. it blew through the airlock and when that filled too thick with yeast it blew through the carboy cap. gravity was 1.011, and with no airlock activity i'm sure that it had been done for quite a while. if you pitch a big enough starter with enough aeration then you should expect that sort of fermentation. maybe not 50 hours all the time but it's a good thing. nice job.

Old 10-24-2007, 01:53 AM   #3
uglygoat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

what was the temperature range?

i'd get it cool and let it sit a spell in the primary. two weeks minimum, stouts like to sit around and do nothing.

never argue with an idiot, they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:06 AM   #4
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The temperature in my basement stays around 66 to 68.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:29 AM   #5
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

WLP004 is a very very fast fermenter, the stout and irish red I made with it finished in about 48 hours.

Old 10-24-2007, 03:42 AM   #6
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds OK, but just because it fermented out dosn't mean it doesn't need to condition. That size stout prolly needs 6 weeks to taste best. Stick to the 1-2-3 method and then age in bottles another 3. Just my $0.02

Old 10-24-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
BNVince
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos
Sounds OK, but just because it fermented out dosn't mean it doesn't need to condition. That size stout prolly needs 6 weeks to taste best. Stick to the 1-2-3 method and then age in bottles another 3. Just my $0.02
Thanks. I brewed it now hoping it would peek around Christmas hence the name "Sleepy Santa Stout". 1 week primary, 2 weeks secondary, then 6 weeks bottle conditioning.

Quick Reply