Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 4 ounce dry hop: single or multi-stage?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
BassBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default 4 ounce dry hop: single or multi-stage?

I want to generate some discussion about single-stage vs. multi-stage dry hopping. I'm planning on using 4 ounces in a current batch and am not sure which route to take. Has anyone tried both? Which did you prefer? I'm leaning towards a two-stager, thinking that all 4 ounces at once will result in less extraction. Any input is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #2
m3n00b
Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 70

My next IIPA is about 5 oz for 14 days and 1 oz of the same hops for the final 5 days. Based off the Pliny PDF recipe.

Old 11-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
FRS
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brew strong just did an episode on this: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/982

As I recall, the gist was that if you use a large amount of hops all at once, they form a thick layer on the bottom of the fermenter. This means that most of the hops are buried under other hops and not in direct contact with the beer, so extraction is worse than if you add them in multiple stages.

I have not personally tried it but their logic sounds plausible. I suspect it is more of an issue at commercial scales in large conical fermenters with many pounds of hops than in a 5 gallon carboy with a few ounces.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
BassBeer
Recipes 

Good info, thanks for that. I'm gonna try 2 stage on this one. I'll do 1 oz. each mosaic and simcoe for 5 days, then 1 oz. each amarillo and columbus for 7. I'll post results in a couple weeks!

Old 11-04-2013, 03:00 AM   #5
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2544 Times on 1495 Posts
Likes Given: 5722

I see you've already made your decision, but wanted to weigh in here. The comment about the layering of hops on the bottom of the fermenter is true if you add them loose, but if you use hop sacks then the hops, regardless of how much you use, are always in constant contact with the beer since the hops end up floating on top. I just dry hopped an IIPA with 4 oz of hops all in one shot, though I did use a separate sack for each 2 oz addition, and it tasted really good at bottling.

The only thing more asinine than stupid rules is the enforcement of rules simply because they are the rules.

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 11-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #6
BassBeer
Recipes 

Thanks nuke. I'll be using a hop bag and chucking them (actually gently placing them) into the keg. There'll be 2 oz. in each charge so I'm expecting explosive aroma, especially since I dropped a bunch of yeast beforehand. I'll post results in about 2 weeks

Old 11-04-2013, 06:54 PM   #7
IL1kebeer
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukebrewer
I see you've already made your decision, but wanted to weigh in here. The comment about the layering of hops on the bottom of the fermenter is true if you add them loose, but if you use hop sacks then the hops, regardless of how much you use, are always in constant contact with the beer since the hops end up floating on top. I just dry hopped an IIPA with 4 oz of hops all in one shot, though I did use a separate sack for each 2 oz addition, and it tasted really good at bottling.
Yep this is what I do. Dryhop with bags of 2oz or less each and have had significantly better results than throwing in 4oz loose. Less mess when racking too.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
m3n00b
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer View Post
Thanks nuke. I'll be using a hop bag and chucking them (actually gently placing them) into the keg. There'll be 2 oz. in each charge so I'm expecting explosive aroma, especially since I dropped a bunch of yeast beforehand. I'll post results in about 2 weeks
What do you mean by dropping the yeast?

Old 11-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
BassBeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3n00b View Post
What do you mean by dropping the yeast?
I cold crashed my primary for ~36 hours before racking to the keg, which caused a lot of the suspended yeast to drop out. According to Mitch Steele, amongst many others, hop aroma compounds will coat the yeast in suspension and be taken out with them when they naturally floc out.

I will say, I just dry hopped 2oz. this morning and pulled a sample a minute ago... Holy crap! This is by far the most flavorful aromatic brew I've ever made. I may not even add the second charge of dry hops since I really don't see how it could get any better. I got a lot of flavor/aroma from the 5 oz. I added from 15 minutes to flameout + a hopstand, but right now this brew is on point.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
m3n00b
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer View Post

I cold crashed my primary for ~36 hours before racking to the keg, which caused a lot of the suspended yeast to drop out. According to Mitch Steele, amongst many others, hop aroma compounds will coat the yeast in suspension and be taken out with them when they naturally floc out.

I will say, I just dry hopped 2oz. this morning and pulled a sample a minute ago... Holy crap! This is by far the most flavorful aromatic brew I've ever made. I may not even add the second charge of dry hops since I really don't see how it could get any better.
Oh got it. Thought you meant you dropped the trub out of the bottom of a conical. Maybe I should wait longer than a week to start dry hopping in primary...so most of the yeast has flocd...or maybe cold crash the primary and dry hop in secondary. I need to start kegging.

Quick Reply