Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 3rd Strike (Possibly 4th) and Iím A Pissed Off Brewer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #11
GearBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
10 gal Aluminum boil kettle
This wouldn't happen to be a brushed aluminum boil kettle, would it?
I just started using a brushed aluminum boil kettle (soon to be replaced by one of two 36 qt SS kettles ; when it rains, it pours) but when I pre-boiled the kettle to build the oxide layer all kinds of plasticy crap came off the surface, a similar source might be soaping your beer. The extended secondary for your schwarzbier might have helped that junk settle out of the beer.

Kyle

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #12
farmbrewernw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

JimBob I would still leave your beer in the primary longer, 5 days is just not long enough, sure you may have gotten lucky on the other beers but I think you'll notice the difference if you leave the beer in the primary for at least 2 weeks. The yeast may clean up those off flavors, you have changed some things in your brewing process that could be making the yeast make the soapy flavor, most likely if this is the case the yeast will clean this up over time.

I'm working as a pro now, but that doesn't mean I'm not still homebrewing. I'm going to see if I can homebrew at work as a way to develop new recipes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymurgrafi
wow, tha more I drink, tha more cohernet you all are!
and stufffff.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #13
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hmm. I use an aluminum pot. Works great for me.

Looks like you got the temp control dialed in. And I second leaving it in the primary. I do three week primaries and go straight to the keg, it just means I have to be careful when racking to avoid getting trub in the keg.

You are pretty close to me. Drop me a PM when you are planning your next brew day and I will come over. I might be able to spot something awry in your process you have missed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-02-2008, 06:25 PM   #14
Jimbob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Hmm. I use an aluminum pot. Works great for me.

Looks like you got the temp control dialed in. And I second leaving it in the primary. I do three week primaries and go straight to the keg, it just means I have to be careful when racking to avoid getting trub in the keg.

You are pretty close to me. Drop me a PM when you are planning your next brew day and I will come over. I might be able to spot something awry in your process you have missed.
Will do Sacc. I just picked up a recipe at AHS and will probably brew this weekend. I'll let you know when. Thanks for the offer.

If only I could quit my job, get the two year old twins to carry a carboy, I'd brew everyday!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #15
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbob View Post
Will do Sacc. I just picked up a recipe at AHS and will probably brew this weekend. I'll let you know when. Thanks for the offer.
Cool. I think SoperBrew is brewing this weekend, too, and I'm having a party Sat. night so I'll be quite busy drinking homebrew. ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 09-02-2008, 08:22 PM   #16
Area51BrewCo
Recipes 

What is your water report look like this year. A similar situation happened to me. The water treatment plant began adding ammonia to the water as an additional cleaner. Well Ammonia bonds with chlorine forming a compound that can't be boiled off. You must either filter or add camden tablets. The flavor is more like pool water then soap but I figured was close enough to your problem to give you a heads up.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #17
Jimbob
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area51BrewCo View Post
What is your water report look like this year. A similar situation happened to me. The water treatment plant began adding ammonia to the water as an additional cleaner. Well Ammonia bonds with chlorine forming a compound that can't be boiled off. You must either filter or add camden tablets. The flavor is more like pool water then soap but I figured was close enough to your problem to give you a heads up.
I can't remember what the report says off the top of my head, I'll take a look tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

If only I could quit my job, get the two year old twins to carry a carboy, I'd brew everyday!!!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #18
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know about the leaving it on the yeast cake for longer to solve this problem. All that yeast in the cake as pretty much gone dormant and there is still A LOT of yeast in the beer working away. In fact, leaving on the yeast cake can actually CAUSE a soapy flavor as the fatty acids in the trub. Just out of curiosity, are you throwing all your trub in the fermentor or leaving the hot break stuff mostly behind.

You sure you are getting all that oxyclean out of there...that stuff sticks to glass like mad! I use it to take the labels off of bottles and have to wash them in hot water for a good long time to make sure they are clean along with a bottle washer. Would never use it on my carboy.

I have left a beer in the primary for only a week and never got soapy flavors. The beer was green also cleaned up fine in the secondary also. Don't think it needed to sit on a big cake of dormant yeast.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:22 AM   #19
Jimbob
Recipes 

It's way past time to post the resolution to this issue. So here we go.

I was listening to the BN quite a bit trying to figure this issue out and decided to drop Jamil a line and ask him about this. After several emails I sent JZ a few of my sample bad batches. Once he tasted them, we began to discuss my brewing practices. He mentioned that the off flavors that I had were possibly from wild yeast or pedio. which live on dust particles. It was "dust" that hit me upside the head like a ton of bricks.

The batches that I had brewed were all brew in my garage during the hot Central Texas summer with a fan blowing from the back of the garage over my UNCOVERED cooling wort.

I have since change my practices by covering my cooling wort and not using a fan (duh) and have not had an issue with these types of off flavors.

So thank you all for pitching in and helping me to resolve this issue. I have taken all of your advice to heart and I know that it will help to improve my brewing. Also JZ if your sneaking around out there thanks again for all your help.

If any of you would like some more detail please drop me a line or post here I would be more than happy to share my lessons learned. That's the least that I can do to return the help that I've gotten from this forum and other brewers.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #20
steelerguy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Hahaha...didn't mean to dig up an old post, but thanks for posting your resolution!

Quick Reply