The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > 30,20,15,10,5 minute hop additions - are they worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2010, 02:27 AM   #11
944play
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
thoughts on this concept/idea?
Your recipe looks a lot like many Stone IPA clone recipes (except they're usually only Mag/Cent)... coincidence?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #12
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 944play View Post
Your recipe looks a lot like many Stone IPA clone recipes (except they're usually only Mag/Cent)... coincidence?
Nope, I literally just thought it up for strictly hypothetical discussion. I have no access to stone beers up here in ND!

Old 07-20-2010, 04:16 AM   #13
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This sounds like the beginning of an interesting experiment.

Make a batch and split the wort. Add 3-4 ounces of hops at flameout to one batch, and in the other add the same amount of the same hops at 5 minute intervals starting with about 20 minutes to go in the boil. Use a bittering addition of something smooth like Magnum to keep the IBU's the same between beers.

Then you can have a beer at 1-week intervals after it's carbed and compare the flavors/track how they change over time.

In fact, as I've been writing this post, I'm starting to think about the kind of hops I would use in this sort of experiment. I might have to do it at some point. My curiosity is piqued. I'm sure the batches would taste different, but I'd love to taste the difference for myself.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 29 Posts

I often/usually do what you're talking about permo. I don't even bother with any additions >18 minutes (other than bittering additions at 60 minutes) because they just seem to not leave much flavor, no aroma, and reduced utilization so it just seems like a waste.

It depends somewhat on how fast you chill your wort and also how you chill your wort. Living in Florida, my chilling is likely not as fast as some others (I use two ICs, a 50' in the kettle and a 25' as a pre-chiller). I imagine in ND you have some nice, cold water.

Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 07-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
I often/usually do what you're talking about permo. I don't even bother with any additions >18 minutes (other than bittering additions at 60 minutes) because they just seem to not leave much flavor, no aroma, and reduced utilization so it just seems like a waste.
That's what I do too. I feel that any hop additions at 20-59 minutes are "wasted". I do have a few recipes that add hops at 30 minutes, but those are generally because I needed a bit more bitterness. I don't feel that 30 minute hops contribute to flavor or aroma at all, just bitterness.

I add my bittering hops at 60 minutes, and flavor hops at 15ish, and aroma hops at 5 and/or 0, depending on the style of beer I'm making. I make mostly IPAs, so I'll add the hops at 60, 15, 10, 5, 0.
Sulli Likes This 
Old 07-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #16
sjlammer
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

+1 to Yooper,

60, 15, 10, 5, FO, DH

On Deck: Spruce APA, Chambord Fortified Chocolate Porter, Imperial IPA

Primary:
Primary:
Secondary: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
Conical:
Lagering: None
Kegged/Drinking: Cascade, Cent., Amarillo Pale Ale
Kegged/Drinking: Belgian Pale Ale (HG yeast for yeast cropping see above)
Bottled: ESB

Old 07-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #17
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
That's what I do too. I feel that any hop additions at 20-59 minutes are "wasted". I do have a few recipes that add hops at 30 minutes, but those are generally because I needed a bit more bitterness. I don't feel that 30 minute hops contribute to flavor or aroma at all, just bitterness.

I add my bittering hops at 60 minutes, and flavor hops at 15ish, and aroma hops at 5 and/or 0, depending on the style of beer I'm making. I make mostly IPAs, so I'll add the hops at 60, 15, 10, 5, 0.
I do not totally disagree but do not totally agree either. I feel that it really depends on the hops. I've noticed this with columbus and Vinnie of Russian River said to try only bittering a beer and use Chinook. He said try this and just notice the hop flavor and aroma in the finish. just my 2 cents but I thought i would bring it up. Ray Daniels also notes this in his designing great beers book. He notes that for some reason the higher the cohumulone content the more the bittering hop comes through in the finish.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 AM   #18
Ouroboros
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool View Post
I do not totally disagree but do not totally agree either. I feel that it really depends on the hops. I've noticed this with columbus and Vinnie of Russian River said to try only bittering a beer and use Chinook. He said try this and just notice the hop flavor and aroma in the finish. just my 2 cents but I thought i would bring it up. Ray Daniels also notes this in his designing great beers book. He notes that for some reason the higher the cohumulone content the more the bittering hop comes through in the finish.
That's interesting. I've heard quite often that cohumulone content is a rough measure of the "harshness" of a bittering hop.

If higher cohumulone hops seem to have more flavor/aroma presence when used as bittering additions I have to wonder if some of this "harshness" is the perceived clash between the lingering flavors of a bittering hop and the later additions used for flavor/aroma.

Pondering: Roggenwein, Irish Red, Another Single-Hop IPA, Roggenbier w/ local wild yeast
Primary: Hefeweizen, Nugget Single-Hop IPA, Chamomile Wheat
Secondary: Saffron Metheglin
Bottled: Belgian Strong Dark, Saffron Wheat, UK Barleywine, Tripel, IIPA

Old 07-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #19
permo
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
That's interesting. I've heard quite often that cohumulone content is a rough measure of the "harshness" of a bittering hop.

If higher cohumulone hops seem to have more flavor/aroma presence when used as bittering additions I have to wonder if some of this "harshness" is the perceived clash between the lingering flavors of a bittering hop and the later additions used for flavor/aroma.
Makes some sense to me, anybody that has brewed an arrogant bastard clone, can vouge for the chinook coming through via early additions.

I think it is fairly obvious that there is still a lot to learn about hops in beer.....

Old 02-19-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 12 Posts

So, in developing a recipe, except for the bittering effect as seen in whatever brew software, how do you choose the hops at the different levels within the 15 minute window? Sounds like most agree that 15 mins is where you'll want the hops to contribute flavor to the beer without so much bitterness. For example, I like Chinook and Cascade, so I was planning something like this. I had placed my "flavor" hops in the 15 minute window, but chose based on their impact of the bitterness of the beer.

1.00 oz Chinook [10.00 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 32.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 5 5.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 6 10.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [13.90 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 7 8.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 9 0.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Quick Reply